Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to cook a half baked cake as oven just broke!!!

(7 Posts)
dontevenblink Sun 02-Aug-15 09:19:21

Help! Oven just cut out half way through cooking a chocolate sponge cake dd, who is 7, has made. She will be devastated, so has anyone got any ideas for how to cook it? It's in two cake tins. We have no microwave either as that broke a couple of weeks ago, so only a gas hob available confused. Would steaming work do you think?

TheSpottedZebra Sun 02-Aug-15 09:22:12

It would cook it (eventually), but it would be very flat and stodgy. There is a Chinese steamed sponge cake, and that uses about double the eggs as we would in an ovened sponge.

Could you pop round to neighbours and beg for a borrow of their oven?

TheSpottedZebra Sun 02-Aug-15 09:23:00

Do you have a pressure cooker or gas barbie?

Orangedaisy Sun 02-Aug-15 09:24:20

Yy to asking the neighbours. I'd certainly not mind if my neighbours asked. And we never really speak to them.

dontevenblink Sun 02-Aug-15 09:44:40

Thanks for replies! Can't pop round to neighbours unfortunately as its gone 8.30 at night here, and most of the people round here aren't particularly sociable at the best of times... I would have taken it to a friend's who lives round the corner, but they're away. We have a gas BBQ, but middle of winter and very cold so that's out too I think.

zebra you've given me a brainwave though, thanks smile, and I have put the two cakes together in the slow cooker. No idea if it'll work at all, but figure it's worth a try for dd's sake! Just debating whether to keep it on high for couple of hours or low overnight though now...

TheSpottedZebra Sun 02-Aug-15 09:49:03

Hope it works!
Maybe if they turn out all flat, be ready with an answer that she's made a whoopee pie - v v fashionable 8 yrs or so ago and serve with lots of cream. Or invent another type of cake that she's inadvertently made.

Yes, I do lie to my child sometimes if it will cheer her up a bit grin

dontevenblink Sun 02-Aug-15 10:06:01

grin Funnily enough she is always talking about wanting to invent a new recipe, so that may well actually work, great idea! And she can always be won over by cream wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now