Talk

Advanced search

New buisness venture cake making and decorating.

(6 Posts)
Hangray93 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:38:41

Hello

I have recently decided to start up a cake buisness after enjoying making cakes for friends and family. Wondered if anyone had any advice they would share?

How to price cakes?
Different flavour of cakes to try?
Also been reading up and read that Madeira cake is better for bigger cakes, if the customer wants Victoria sponge will it still work?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance x

ilove Fri 17-Jul-15 21:45:06

It's business not buisness...

ilove Fri 17-Jul-15 21:47:26

You'll need to do a food health and hygiene course, register with the local council and have your kitchens inspected as a start before you can offer any foods for sale. Then check what licences you need, again the council can help you with that.

Hangray93 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:49:00

Oops I've been spelling business wrong all this time thanks.

I had my inspection today and have my pass certificate I'm all set up and ready to begin. Thanks

ilove Sat 18-Jul-15 15:55:15

Have you been inspected by environmental health and been given a rating? You need that.

TheEmpressofBlandings Mon 20-Jul-15 16:17:05

Get public and product liability insurance, check with your mortgage provider that you are allowed to run a business from home, check house insurance and car insurance (if delivering) cover you for business use.
Work out your costs properly, most people drastically undercharge, take on loads and give it up a year later having found they've made £1 an hour or so.
It's great fun but also hard work and not in the least lucrative! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now