Talk

Advanced search

Cardboard cake boxes

(3 Posts)
Pico2 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:07:49

DH has agreed to make some cakes for a wedding and will be practicing soon. I think he needs to practice the whole thing including transport. I've looked on eBay for cardboard cake boxes, but I'm confused by the sizing. Does anyone know whether an 8 inch box is a bit bigger so that you can fit an 8 inch cake, or do you need a 10 inch box to fit an 8 inch cake? do we need a board that is bigger than the cake to stop it from touching the edges?

Any other tips? The cakes will be covered in ganache, so will be easily damaged in transport.

princessvikki Wed 15-Jul-15 07:30:49

You need to go bigger so 8inch cake 10inch board and box.
Make sure you do a crumb coat and leave over night before decorating for a professional looking finish. I personally would add any stuck on decorations at the venue , they can move a bit and smudge the ganache if the cake is transported. Take a bit of spare ganache too for any last minuite patching if you do get a smudge

Pico2 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:34:53

Thanks!

We always do a crumb coat and DH pours the ganache to get a lovely smooth, shiny finish. I don't think it could be patched, so we will have to be very careful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now