Talk

Advanced search

Why am I so shit at pastry?

(6 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Thu 02-Jul-15 16:39:42

Self explanatory title there.

I am crap at it! I have just wasted an entire sheet of ready rolled pastry trying to make some little fruit tartlets.
The first four I made the grease proof paper stuck to them so when I tried to remove the baking beads it ripped apart the bases.
The second ones I made I didn't use baking beads and I ended up with sides that shrank and the bases had puffed up so much I had super thick pastry biscuits!!

My pastry ALWAYS shrinks. Regardless of how careful I am not to stretch it and how careful I am to follow a recipe to the letter.

Should I just accept that I'm crap at pastry and give up forever? [sob]

MoonlightandMusic Thu 02-Jul-15 21:00:46

Do you leave it to rest a bit after rolling out? The less handling the better, so could be that's part of the issue.

Smellyoulateralligator Thu 02-Jul-15 21:04:41

It's very hot at the moment. Was the pastry chilled?

LittleMissRayofHope Thu 02-Jul-15 23:01:27

Lined the tins and chilled for 30 mins.

I always follow recipes to the letter and am just rubbish at it sad

I so want to be good at pastry. I know I can buy tart cases but that kind of feels like cheating a little to me!!

lilacblossomtime Thu 02-Jul-15 23:06:45

Yes it needs to be cold and worked by hand as little as possible. Prick the base and check it after 5 mins in the oven and press it back down gently if it puffs up. Baking beans are good too.

WhenMarnieWasThere Thu 02-Jul-15 23:07:38

This did make me grin a bit. I thought it would be about hand made pastry, not shop bought.

I can see why you are frustrated if shop bought is going wrong.

Yes to the hot weather not being great. I never do the baking beans thing but do prick the bases over a lot to prevent them rising too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now