Talk

Advanced search

Gluten Free , Dairy free Bread with no breadmaker. Is it worth the ££ and effort.

(5 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Jun-15 21:22:00

And if so, what's your Go-To recipe?

I have a stand mixer with a dough hook so I don't have to knead it.
I have made pizza dough (regular recipe) in the past but never ventured into GF. I bought a loaf (£3) it's okay for toast but very sweet.

Is it worth the price of flour and the time and fuel to cook it?
Some of the reviews on the Dove Flour site said they had to adjust the recipe, it was dissapointing, flat etc.

I can use soya milk or yoghurt and eggs are fine.

TIA

ppeatfruit Mon 29-Jun-15 16:30:17

Are you ceoliac? I use wheat free flours and make it by hand because the flours don't need much kneading at all.

I don't use dairy anyway, I add a bit of olive oil.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 30-Jun-15 23:50:17

Not as far as I know (been diagnosed with diverticular disease and recommended to try low FODMAP )

I've cut out wheat (bread, pasta, pastry, biscuits) and eaten rice,ricecakes, gluten free bread and gluten free pasta.

I can't eat cheese (painful) but I've removed dairy in favour of soya milk and yoghurts.

Feeling less bloaty which is good but I find alot of the gluten free/dairy free to be really sweet so I'm going to struggle with putting thm in savoury.

I might buy some GF flour for pastry though to trial. (because I think I'm going to run out of ideas soon)

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Jul-15 09:13:56

The GF flour doesn't agree with me so I buy pure rye bread (which is much easier to digest) I had IBS ages ago and now am perfect . Or spelt, Kamut flour (it depends on where you live if you can get that).

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Jul-15 09:17:48

I also bake bread with rye flour and it needs to rise slowly (overnight if poss.) in a coolish place, also use more GF yeast than they say grin Or even make your own sourdough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now