Talk

Advanced search

Urgent Lemon Madeira recipie for 12, 10 & 8 inch square cakes required!

(6 Posts)
Josiejo75 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:31:23

Please can anyone out there help? I'm doing a three tier square cake for an event, and want to get some help with a recipe for a Lemon Madeira cake for 12, 10 & 8 inch cake tins, I believe Madeira will hold better when stacking the cakes. I have got a great recipe for a Lemon Madeira loaf size but can't convert it into the sizes I need for my square tins. I've tried to do the math, but can't get my head around it. The recipe I have been using also includes double cream, has anyone else used something similar in larger cakes? Any help would be so much appreciated. I hope to do a test run this Thursday!

Becca19962014 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:47:16

I've used this recipe which makes an 8 inch lemon Madeira cake.

If you divide the ingredients by four you can then easily get to the amounts for a 10 and 12 inch cake.

It doesn't have double cream in it though and ive never stacked them so this may be useless in terms of advice for you, though I hope not!

Josiejo75 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:12:35

Thanks for the advice and for the recipe, very much appreciatedsmile

Becca19962014 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:29:22

You're welcome. Hopefully it'll work out well!

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 29-Jun-15 09:25:53

JJ75, You do need to be careful about the cooking times as it is possible, with a larger cake, that you will get the outside decidedly crisp before the inside is done. We tried baking 12" madeira cakes here at work and baked four of them over about a month, with various tweaks to the method and didn't quite manage it. Someone else did though, and I have copied her method below (she was happy for us to pass it on, as I have on MN before).

Madeira Cake - 12” Square (with thanks to Jen Aldred)
(Cooking time 65 mins)

Ingredients:

825 gm Butter
825 gm Self Raising Flour
825 gm Caster Sugar
12 Large Eggs

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg. (Gas Mark 4)

Grease and line the pan (Triple lining is suggested to prevent scorching).

Take a LARGE mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Then add the eggs, one at a time to prevent curdling (you may need to add a little flour from time to time). Once the eggs are mixed in, fold in the balance of the flour.

Cook for 30 minutes at 180 deg. then cover with baking parchment for another 20 minutes at the same temperature. For the final 15 minutes, keep covered but reduce the temperature to 170 deg. (Gas 3).

This should produce a cake that has a close, even texture, is completely cooked and moist.

To adapt for chocolate cake: (with thanks to Lorna Shannon)

Substitute 3 desert spoons of good cocoa powder for 3 desert spoons of flour. Then add a further 2 heaped desert spoons of cocoa powder.
You can substitute 200gm of the butter for Flora to make it lighter. This should result in a bouncy, good textured chocolate sponge. Finished off with a dark chocolate ganache, sprinkled with white chocolate shavings, it is quite a treat!

I hope that this is helpful.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 29-Jun-15 09:27:58

I missed the lemon out (Jen didn't include it in hers. I would think that you should add zest from 5 lemons, and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now