Talk

Advanced search

Tips for making a shaped cake?

(8 Posts)
evilgiraffe Thu 25-Jun-15 08:12:59

Next week is DD's first birthday, and (at DH's request), I'm going to try to make her a Thunderbird 1 cake. Usually baking holds no fear for me, but I've never tried to carve cake or make any sort of shape before.

Any advice for cake recipe, methods of carving, assembling, icing gratefully received! Also any ideas on how to do grey icing - can you get ready roll in grey?

Here are a couple of inspirational pictures!
Thunderbird 1
An example cake

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 25-Jun-15 08:56:00

If baking a cake for carving, you really need a Madeira cake (can be a chocolate one if you like) as it is a firmer structure having that little bit of extra flour in there. This will reduce the risk of crumbling as you cut.

evilgiraffe Thu 25-Jun-15 21:10:17

Oh thank you, that is a great starting point smile

WellyMummy Thu 25-Jun-15 21:24:31

I've made shaped cakes. I make a sponge recipe and then freeze it before cutting it whilst frozen so it doesn't crumble. I use Mary Berry's all in one sponge recipe www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/495936/mary-berry-s-victoria-sandwich
Good luck!

Wristy Wed 08-Jul-15 09:27:42

Noooooo!!! Don't do it!! I made a Lightning McQueen cake for my sons 3rd birthday. I've just had to do it again for his 4th!

He's already asking if he can have a Dusty cake (Disney Planes) for next year. I fear I've made a rod for my own back!!

As a tip I bake Madeira sponge (recipe in the bero book) in the disposable foil trays from Lakeland, it gave me several thinner sponges that can be sandwiched together before carving.

5madthings Wed 08-Jul-15 09:33:27

Yes Madeira cake or chill cake before cutting, you will need to crumb coat the cake before icing, basically a thin layer of butter icing to seal in the crumbs.

Yes you cab ready roll icing in grey, you can buy it in pretty much any colour. If you don't have a baking shop near you then hobbycraft sell ready roll icing in colours.

It can help to draw a template on grease proof paper to practise and get the shape you need before cutting the cake.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 08-Jul-15 09:38:21

Definitely cut a template and freeze the cake before cutting. Good luck!

evilgiraffe Wed 08-Jul-15 10:47:06

Thanks all, her birthday was last week, cake is all eaten! It was a bit rustic in appearance, but good enough, I think - and tasted great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now