Talk

Advanced search

What have I done wrong???

(3 Posts)
MrsHenryMountbattenWindsor Sun 21-Jun-15 22:11:42

White ganache. Just me or is this the devil of baking?!

I've just used up 1700gms of white chocolate to try and make enough white ganache to cover a 10" sq and an 8" round.

It went a bit like this -

Made ganache as per Paul Bradford recipe
It split twice which I managed to recover by adding hot cream
For some dumb reason I put it in the fridge overnight
Today it was perfectly set for a final product but I needed it soft to cover a cake
So I heated it up and it split again!
So I added more hot cream then it was too runny!
So I added more chocolate and it split again!!!
So I added more hot cream.

Now I have a tonne of very greasy, runny looking ganache in the fridge and £20 worth of white chocolate likely to end up in the bin tomorrow.

I used Green & Black hopes this is the problem

princessvikki Mon 22-Jun-15 13:29:41

Ganache should be easy, heat gently (don't boil) equal quantities of finly chopped chocolate and cream in a pan until melted, (I stir all the time some say not to) leave it to cool and and your off. Or keep it in the fridge until you need it and warm slightly in a pan until spreadable. It's adding the cream hot that causes the split because it melts the fat in the chocolate and separates it from the solids.

MrsHenryMountbattenWindsor Mon 22-Jun-15 17:31:28

Thanks Princess. For some reason the demo I was following (designer-cakes.com) said bring the cream to boiling. Which I've since realised is a bit shock and hmm

I think I'll try again on a much smaller quantity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now