Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cupcakes

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 21-Jun-15 18:52:44

DS wants his birthday cupcakes to be red and chocolate flavoured. will it be easier to get a red colour using white, milk or dark chocolate?

AMcoffeeLover Sun 21-Jun-15 20:03:13

I find milk choc the best. White goes pinky and dark goes more maroon/purple.

SwanneeKazoo Sun 21-Jun-15 20:10:24

so like red velvet cupcakes? I think they use cocoa powder and tons of red food colouring paste, but not 100% sure as I've never made them because of all the food colouring. There are loads of recipes if you google.

nappyaddict Tue 23-Jun-15 08:17:36

AMcoffeelover is that for the frosting?

BrieAndChilli Tue 23-Jun-15 08:24:47

I use white choc and an extra extra red colour paste.

BrieAndChilli Tue 23-Jun-15 08:25:25

You can also buy red chocolate melts in hobby craft and Lakeland that are choc buttons you melt.

nappyaddict Sun 28-Jun-15 09:14:14

i opted for milk choc and it went brown with a hint of red. the cake mixture went pink before i put the cocoa in so perhaps my food gels just weren't up to the job (dr oetker)

BrieAndChilli Sun 28-Jun-15 13:28:07

The best things to use are the colouring paste. Found in cake decoratin shops, hobby craft etc. they are about £2 each but as you only need a tiny amount last for ages and ages.

andadietcoke Sun 28-Jun-15 13:30:23

I use a whole bottle of food colouring and Green & Black's cocoa when I make red velvet cakes (as per the Hummingbird Bakery recipe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now