Football pitch cake - which type of icing?

(9 Posts)
cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 05-Jun-15 20:34:54

Fondant (am fairly new to icing cakes and am worried about lumps and bumps) or buttercream using grass nozzle that will be more forgiving of an uneven surface but will it look odd?

Need to decide by tomorrow. If fondant is the way forward please can I have your best tips for a nice looking finish?!

Purplehonesty Fri 05-Jun-15 20:42:56

If you are unsure about using it go for buttercream with a grass tip.

Otherwise make sure you have covered the cake in a good layer of buttercream and then again, smoothing it with a hot knife helps get it nice and flat.

I always microwave my icing first then colour it as that helps get it nice and smooth and less likely to crack when you roll it out.

Cover the cake and use a smoother to polish out any imperfections.
You could pipe lines on it in royal icing to make the pitch.

lunar1 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:49:12

Costco do a lovely football pitch cake, for probably less than you can get the ingredients!

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 05-Jun-15 21:09:30

Thanks purple think I will go with the buttercream and grass tip as it's going to be a big surface to cover. Will practice my fondant skills on some smaller cakes!

I didn't know you could microwave icing first that's a very handy tip for the future!

Thanks Lunar1 I would love to order one but DS1 seems to have his heart set on me making one for him!

MrsHathaway Fri 05-Jun-15 21:28:13

Ooh I've done one recently, let me see if I can drag up a photo.

It was buttercream forked then white water icing piped* into the lines to make the pitch. On a bigger cake I'd suggest adding a foil wrapped chocolate football but in this case I used a little sugar pearl.

* at the eleventh hour I couldn't find any piping nozzles, so panicked and drizzled it off a spoon. Which doesn't really work. I realised afterwards I could have snipped the corner off a sandwich bag and used that instead.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 05-Jun-15 22:17:38

Fab cake MrsHathaway! Good idea about the foil wrapped chocolate football too! <loves MN>

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 05-Jun-15 22:20:03

Dedicated coconut in butter icing gives a good grassy finish too

Purplehonesty Wed 10-Jun-15 19:10:56

How did the cake go?!

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 11-Jun-15 14:14:34

Went with the grass tip and butter icing in the end and was really pleased with the finish (Grass nozzle much more forgiving on lumps and bumps!) Thanks for the tips Purplehonesty smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now