Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a fail safe chocolate cupcake recipe?

(13 Posts)
NannyR Fri 08-May-15 18:41:33

I want to make some chocolate butterfly cakes filled with whipped cream and could do with a recipe for a really good, moist chocolate sponge. In the past I have just used my usual sponge mix (6,6,6 of flour sugar and butter + 3 eggs) and substituted some of the flour for cocoa, but I find it comes out a bit dry.
I'm thinking that adding melted chocolate or something like yoghurt might make them more moist, but I can't really afford to experiment and have a batch turn out awful.

Google throws up all sorts of recipes, but it would be great to have a recommendation of one that works and tastes great too.
Thanks

SilentBob Fri 08-May-15 18:47:08

I often make my chocolate banan brownies into cupcakes and they have never let me down!

4oz butter, melted.
Add 2oz Cocoa and 6oz sugar and whisk together.
Blitz up 2 ripe bananas. Add and whisk.
Add 2 eggs and whisk again.
Add 3oz plain flour and 1teaspoon baking powder. Final whisk then into cases and bake for about 15 mins at 180.

Bananas optional.

I have also used (instead of bananas) chocolate chips, cherries, vanilla extract and almond essence to make 'Black Forest brownies'

MummyPidge Fri 08-May-15 18:50:54

I always add melted chocolate to my cupcakes (normal recipe) and then to the buttercream,always makes them a little bit moist, or you could try putting some simple syrup (sugar and water) or coke on the cake using a pastry brush before icing to moisten them a little smile

hugoagogo Fri 08-May-15 18:53:17

25g cocoa powder
100g of soft butter (or stork is fine)
75g SR flour
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs

Sift flour and cocoa together into a large bowl.
Add everything else and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Divide between 15 fairy cake cases and bake for 10-12 mins at 180°C.

I usually top them with fudge icing, but whipped cream would be fine. I have doubled the recipe and made large cupcakes as well ass making into a layer cake.

It is one of the recipes I have made the most and came from a women's own in 1990!? <shows age>

tethersend Fri 08-May-15 18:56:10

Use this Nigella recipe- it's very moist, very easy, and tastes fantastic. It's got sour cream in it.

mousmous Fri 08-May-15 18:56:37

weigh the eggs
add same weight butter, sugar. flour (half plain half corn flour), couple of table spoons cocoa powder, baking powder.

mrsmeerkat Fri 08-May-15 19:03:12

You could put a little icing sugar into the cream op

Mous how much baking powder ?

mousmous Fri 08-May-15 19:47:51

on the box/sachet it says how much.
about 1,5 teaspoon for a 3 egg mix

NannyR Fri 08-May-15 20:10:40

Thanks for all the ideas - I'm going to try the nigella recipe and use yoghurt rather than the sour cream (as I have a bucket of lidl Greek yog that needs using up!)

mrsmeerkat Fri 08-May-15 22:37:48

Thank You mous

Enjoy op !

HSMMaCM Fri 08-May-15 22:43:27

I add some milk and swap at least one egg for a banana.

NannyR Sun 10-May-15 11:45:16

Chocolate cupcakes were delicious! I used the nigella recipe above and the quantities given for the cake made 18 biggish cupcakes.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 10-May-15 21:43:19

Silent bob - your recipe for banana brownie came out perfectly!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now