Talk

Advanced search

Cakes burning around the edges

(6 Posts)
Tinofroses Wed 04-Feb-15 15:03:15

I'm really getting fed up now of burnt cake around the edges. I lower my oven temp than recommended , cover loosely with tin foil or parchment and take out earlier than recommended. I'm off today and just made m berry apple and apricot cake and the choc and vanilla marble loaf for a fundraiser in work tomorrow and they look like burnt offerings. Off to m n a now to get some cakes instead and let the family have these.

FelixFelix Wed 04-Feb-15 15:09:34

Have you tried wrapping baking parchment around the outside of the tin? You do this with fruit cakes as they are in the oven for so long and it stops burning around the edges. The same should apply to other cakes too I assume.

Bunbaker Wed 04-Feb-15 15:17:07

I think you should buy an oven thermometer to check your oven temperature. They are only a few pounds.

What temperature are you cooking your cakes at? (or rather what temperature do you think you are cooking them at?)

forago Wed 04-Feb-15 15:21:57

this happennned to me and I bought n oven thermometer which really helped

NakedFamilyFightClub Wed 04-Feb-15 15:26:15

Are they cooked in the middle or slightly underdone there?

Seconding the oven thermometer, my oven is 10 degrees lower than it should be and my DM's is 20-30 degrees higher depending on the temperature she sets it to.

Tinofroses Wed 04-Feb-15 20:43:07

Hi all I am cooking at whatever temp the cook book says and knocking off 20 deg cel for my fan oven. The middle bit is done , just the edges look all burnt . Maybe I will get a thermometer .
I have not tried parchment outside the tin.
My Xmas cake was perfect but I took it out a whole hour earlier and I lined tin with parchment and brown paper and laid parchment resting lightly on top of the paper lining the ton iykwim. Cup cakes and scones are ok .
Kids and dh enjoyed them this eve anyway , burnt or not lol.
Thanks for replies , sorry took me so long to reply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: