Talk

Advanced search

Pavlova Newbie. Some questions please

(7 Posts)
UncrushedParsley Sun 25-Jan-15 17:14:42

New to this. I have some questions. An answer to any of them would mean I know more than I know now! What does the cornflour and vinegar do? Have read two different recipes, one says do not open the oven door after cooking, the other says open a little until completely cooled. Which is better? I am aiming for a chewy meringue if possible, and using candarel instead of sugar, if that makes a difference. TIA.

agoodbook Mon 26-Jan-15 18:53:01

I use vinegar, but not cornflour - it makes it a little soft and chewy inside smile and just switch off the oven and leave to go cold, or it may crack.

UncrushedParsley Mon 26-Jan-15 20:06:20

That's good to know book. I like them chewy, thanks.

addicted2cake Tue 27-Jan-15 19:32:20

Never use vinegar or cornflour. I follow James Martins cold meringue recipe. 2 egg whites and 110g caster sugar. Soooooo simple and I have always had fab results. Once cooked, turn oven off and leave door slightly ajar with meringue inside. can even leave overnight. Good Luck! Pavlova is my fave!

CatsClaus Tue 27-Jan-15 19:36:46

i have never used canderel....have you googled for specific recipes?

the cornflour and vinegar is supposed to make the pav all marshmallowy and gooey inside but ime it's usually the cooking that does that, normally meringues are low heat and dried right out, Pavlovas are generally cooked for a shorter time at a higher temp so your outside is crisp without drying it right through.

squiz81 Fri 13-Feb-15 23:01:41

I think the door open or shut thing depends if you use a fan oven or not. I turn the fan off and cook for time recipe States, then leave in the oven with the door shut for one hour. If you cook with a fan oven you should leave door ajar.

I use a Mary Berry recipe, which has cornflour and vinegar. Mine is always lovely and chewy inside.

UncrushedParsley Sat 14-Feb-15 08:57:51

Great advice. Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: