Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a foolproof pasty recipe?

(6 Posts)
FelixFelixNavidad Fri 12-Dec-14 14:43:08

I've made my own mincemeat this year for the first time ever. I love mince pies so I'm very excited. The only problem is, I've never made pastry before. I can bake reasonably well but the thought of making pastry just terrifies me for some reason.

Does anyone have a foolproof recipe for shortcrust pastry? I could go and buy some ready made but I'd like to have a go myself seeing as though I've made the mincemeat too.

MoonlightandMistletoe Fri 12-Dec-14 22:51:49

I've found the trick isn't so much in the ingredients, but be very 'light' when mixing up - so just use fingertips when rubbing in and drop the crumbs back into the bowl from a height. Also, leave in a cool place, rather than the fridge, for at least an hour to rest once the dough is made.
Finally, and you may know this one already, but I didn't the first few times I made pastry, when rolling out, roll in one direction and don't flatten over the edges with the pin, but lift up just before you get there. Takes a bit longer to stretch out that way, but does seem to work for keeping air in the dough.

FelixFelixNavidad Fri 12-Dec-14 22:56:15

Thank you that's really helpful! I have no idea about any of this as I've not done it before. Going to brave it this weekend grin

MoonlightandMistletoe Fri 12-Dec-14 22:58:09

Enjoy - I'm making mine on Sunday. fgrin

MrsCrankypants Sat 13-Dec-14 00:06:54

Look at Paul Hollywood's mince pie recipe on the BBC good food website. I'm usually pretty bad at pastry but I've used this recipe the last 2 years since I started making my own mincemeat and its lovely!

tb Sat 13-Dec-14 21:24:52

If you want really short pastry, use half butter and half lard. Old-fashioned, but works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now