Talk

Advanced search

Best brownie recipe

(18 Posts)
butterfliesinmytummy Thu 11-Dec-14 03:34:44

I need a really good brownie recipe - have to make a sweet dish for dds school and she has to take it on the bus so it needs to be fairly indestructible (ie no icing etc) and definitely no nuts. I figure brownies would be appreciated but haven't made them in years - who does the best recipe? Nigella?

Calmthefeckdown Thu 11-Dec-14 05:18:46

I've made these several times and they are easy and flippin' delicious. www.mylittlekitchenblog.co.uk/2013/03/brownies-with-chocolate-fingers-and.html

Cornedbeefpie Thu 11-Dec-14 06:15:39

My recipe is almost the same as Calm's but has chunks of dark choc and walnuts instead of the choc fingers and white choc.

Best tip I have for brownies is to cut when cooled with a disposable plastic knife, the sort you get for picnics or with take-away food. It really works and you don't lose loads of brownie crumbs that you have to wipe off and scoff yourself on the bread knife.

KiaOraOAotearoa Thu 11-Dec-14 06:28:56

Whatever recipe you're using, buy the green and black's cocoa, it gives that amazing shiny crust smile

PitchWrapped Thu 11-Dec-14 06:32:27

These are amazing brownies, lovely and fudgey. I posted them on another thread before and a few MNtters tried them and liked them

brownies

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Thu 11-Dec-14 14:16:21

I made the Jamie Oliver brownies last week and added a bit of strong coffee to the mix....OMG really rich and very very nice. too rich and nice for children

midori1999 Thu 11-Dec-14 18:24:11

Paul Hollywood ones are the nicest I've tasted.

ChristmasJumperWearer Thu 11-Dec-14 18:27:54

I'm a fan of the Jamie Oliver ones. And if I can make them, anyone can!

msrisotto Thu 11-Dec-14 18:29:39

Jamie Oliver's fifteen brownie recipe

Iheartautumn Sun 14-Dec-14 09:51:58

All recipesuk easy browniesshock

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:42:28

Thank you all. In the end I did Donna hay's raspberry spiked brownies with freeze dried and fresh raspberries. Fortunately they wouldn't all fit in the boxes so there were a few left for quality control grin

Taystee Mon 29-Dec-14 15:29:34

Do any of these brownie recipes make brownies with a thick, crunchy crust? I've been trying to get my brownies to turn out like this with no luck. I can get a glossy shiny top but it's more papery than crunchy IYSWIM

rachyconks Mon 29-Dec-14 15:30:45

I LOVE nigel slaters festival brownies. By far and away the best recipe I've tried.

Onykahonie Thu 01-Jan-15 19:52:08

Mary Berry's are the best ever (from the Great British Bake Off: Learn to Bake book). I can't find the recipe online so reluctant to type it all out, however I'm sure I could copy and send it, if you can't find it either!

EvilTwins Thu 01-Jan-15 19:58:28

I always make these Didn't know that Nigella had bagged the recipe - I have a Hummingbird Bakery book and they're in that.

Really simple and always turn out well.

TheDietStartsTomorrow Thu 01-Jan-15 19:58:45

The trick with brownies is to remove them from the oven whilst they're still squidgy in the middle. I was always tempted to overcook them but they need to be a bit soft and gooey inside.

The second thing that I learnt after numerous batches is that they always taste better the day after. So bake them a day in advance if its for an event.

Alicadabra Mon 05-Jan-15 20:09:07

I make mine in the style of Katharine Hepburn ("Never give up, be yourself, and don't put too much flour in your brownies") although, alas, the kids object to the walnuts so I usually have to leave those out: Katherine Hepburn's brownies

MandiandPops Fri 09-Jan-15 20:38:37

Absolutely definitely Nigella's brownies from her Domestic Goddess book. They are so easy. Even better adding Oreo cookies broken in halves and quarters on the top just before putting in the oven. Just cook the exact 25/35 mins (can't remember without looking) and take it out. It will be done. Overcooking is the death of a good brownie batch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now