Talk

Advanced search

Mince pies

(4 Posts)
Flossyfloof Mon 08-Dec-14 18:01:40

I have made my own mincemeat which is fabulous, due in no small part to the high level of alcohol it contains.
Now for the pies ,
I have bought some ready made puff pastry. Will it be ok to just make jam tart style mince pies? If they will be mince tarts that is fine. It just feels as if it will be easier to do them open.
Also -can I use muffin cases for them or is this ridiculous? My patty pans are not non-stick and I don't want to be scraping the pies/tarts out.

holeinmyheart Tue 09-Dec-14 06:28:51

I think open mince tarts with a little decoration of pastry in the middle looks good. Puff pastry will puff up.
I think using short crust would leave more room for your delicious mincemeat.
Well done on making the mincemeat, you must be a Domestic Goddess.
Happy ( hiccup ) Christmas

Flossyfloof Tue 09-Dec-14 07:24:07

Ooh a decoration I never thought of that! Thanks, yes I used to be a boring old Sex Goddess but now I am a Domestic Goddess as well.
I have only ever made anything with puff. . ☺️ I suppose that may make me a Domestic Goddess in waiting.

RojaGato Wed 10-Dec-14 04:34:57

Do them open and top with a thin bit of marzipan. Star shapes look good. Not too thin though as then it melts in and disappears.

Also, my granma always made puff pastry mince pies (top and bottom) and they were gorgeous. You do need a bit less filing though.

You could also try meringue on top,but I haven't done that myself with pies. I have done a baked apple stuffed with mincemeat and a swirl of meringue on top and that was gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now