Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made marshmallows?

(12 Posts)
mistressploppy Sun 07-Dec-14 21:39:57

I want to give it a try but it needs to be easy as I am a bit crap at this sort of thing. If it's tricky I won't bother...

And I haven't got a kitchenaid <sob>

PigeonPie Sun 07-Dec-14 21:44:08

I looked at the recipe and decided that it was easier to buy a packet from the supermarket! (sorry)

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:44:43

Not yet but I am planning to give it a go next week!

18yearstooold Sun 07-Dec-14 21:47:30

I've tried, it worked but its not worth the faff and they don't keep

mistressploppy Sun 07-Dec-14 21:51:48

They don't keep? Oh no, I bought some at the village fete.. <runs off to stuff face>

callamia Sun 07-Dec-14 21:52:34

I did, it was pretty easy but they weren't the best.

18yearstooold Sun 07-Dec-14 21:54:25

Mistress if you put some icing sugar in an air tight jar then add the marshmallows you might get a day or two but they are best eaten the same day

CarolBornAMan Sun 07-Dec-14 22:18:29

my 10 year old DD made some last year (with supervision) for relatives and they were lovely - not quite same texture as bought ones but stickier and really nice - we would definitely make again..they last few days for us..

Magmatic80 Sun 14-Dec-14 06:40:51

I made them the other day and I don't have a stand mixer either. Yet. DP helpfully held the hand mixer while I poured the sugar syrup. They were nice but I found they soaked up the dusting icing sugar/corn flour very quick and were sticky again within an hour or so. I've never used gelatine before and found a lot of the sugar syrup set in the pan while pouring so lost a bit. Wondering if I didn't melt it enough and that's why they ended up so sticky. Dunno. I'm going to have another go after Christmas with my stand mixer present fsmile

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Wed 17-Dec-14 11:46:39

I make marshmallows about once a month. They taste very nice and have the right texture.
But I do have a Kitchenaid. smile

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Wed 17-Dec-14 11:49:24

There!

mrsminiverscharlady Fri 19-Dec-14 06:38:50

Homemade marshmallows are amazing and taste so much better than shop bought. You do need at least an electric mixer and someone to pour the syrup if you don't have a stand mixer.

I use an egg white based mixture which is less sticky and more fluffy IMO. They keep well in an air tight tin for at least a week. I use a pizza cutter to cut them up. Fruit based flavourings work best IME, ones with fat in (eg chocolate or Baileys) do not work well unfortunately. Gingerbread ones are lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now