Talk

Advanced search

URGENT Christmas pudding steaming advice

(6 Posts)
Housemum Tue 02-Dec-14 11:19:04

Have made the pub and realised that my basin is too big to fit in my steaming pan (one of those deep pans with a steamer basket) - it fits in but the rim of the basin rests on the lip of the saucepan

Can I still steam it, or will the fact that the basin is effectively being the saucepan lid be a problem? Does the steam from underneath cook it or does it need to be all round?

Thank you!!

Bragadocia Tue 02-Dec-14 11:22:49

I think the basin needs to be all within the steamy environment, but don't know for certain. There is an oven method, if you can't borrow a bigger pan - I will see if i can find it.

Housemum Tue 02-Dec-14 11:45:07

Been googling and found you can do it in a slow cooker - result!
thanks Bragadocia

Bragadocia Tue 02-Dec-14 11:50:34

Oh good, you've got a slow cooker - you're sorted then! I did mine in the slow cooker yesterday; Christmas puddings are the only reason I keep the damn thing. I added a couple of hours to the time.

The only oven method I can find is for smaller, individual puddings baked bain marie style; maybe it doesn't work with full size ones.

Housemum Tue 02-Dec-14 12:19:19

I thought it would be perfect use for my tall steamer - the basin is just half a cm too wide where the rim comes out! Steaming a 1.5 litre put for 7 hours rather than the 5 on the hob smile

tb Tue 02-Dec-14 16:58:51

You can also do them in a rice cooker, but have to keep a close eye on it and top up with boiling water every so often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now