Talk

Advanced search

How much water do you use for homemade bread??

(13 Posts)
PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 15:13:17

I've been baking my own bread for the last 6 years or so with a MorphyRichards bread maker. I started with Lidl bread mix and in the meantime have 'graduated' to making my own.

In principle, I always use 500g flour and 350mls water.
The flour varies a lot (I use wheat, strong and normal, rye, spelt in varying proportions) but I've always used 350mls of lukewarm water.

So, recently I must have done something wrong (I often put a bread on while making dinner and really rather distracted) in that the resulting 'dough' had the consistency of loose porridge instead of the usual firm ball of dough. I was rather worried.

But - the resulting bread was fabulous! grin

I've just done another one with 500g flour/400mls water and it was good too. I have no idea how much water was in the accidental loaf but wonder whether it might have been 500mls?

Anyway <gets to the point eventually> what is your flour/water ratio??

TIA if you got this far.

agoodbook Sat 22-Nov-14 20:51:15

I have a Panasonic breadmaker, and ratio is 500 gm flour to 360 ml water

UniS Sat 22-Nov-14 20:54:22

Depends on what manner of bread I want to make.
Wet dough can produce fantastic bread with big bubbles and a wonderful flavour. But for pizza base or a sandwich loaf I want a dough that forms a ball on the dough hook.

mausmaus Sat 22-Nov-14 20:55:29

I use 600g flour and 400ml water
bread has a nice dense but fluffy texture.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 22-Nov-14 20:56:11

Exactly the same as you. 500 to 350.

strawberryshoes Sat 22-Nov-14 21:02:09

300ml water to 400g flour here

PicandMinx Sat 22-Nov-14 21:11:10

Do you add your water all in one go? I use approx 320ml of lukewarm water to 500g of flour. I put a sachet of yeast, the flour, a teaspoon of salt and 40ml olive oil in the food mixer with the dough hook. I let the ingredients mix before I add the water a bit at a time until the dough becomes a wet and smooth ball. The "wetter" the dough the better the bread. I measure the water but I don't use it all - it depends on the type of flour.

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 21:17:30

Oh, thank you all - v interesting.

I am so used to bunging all ingredients in with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back wink, that I never pay any attention to it really. I suppose that is one of the disadvantages of using a bread maker.

I will watch it a bit more from now on.

I think for that one particularly 'wet' bread it was 200g spelt and 300g Allison's strong white wheat + who knows HOW much water hmm

I am quite tempted to experiment with a bit more water than usual.

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 21:18:17

Oh, and I have to add the water first for my bread maker, then all 'dry' ingredients on top.

feetheart Sat 22-Nov-14 21:22:38

350ml with 500g white bread flour but a bit more if it's brown flour/spelt/got bits in smile

SummerSazz Sat 22-Nov-14 21:25:16

our recipe is 310ml water, 20oz (apols for imperial switch), glug of olive oil, / scoop sea salt and a sachet of yeast.

mausmaus Sat 22-Nov-14 22:13:40

I use a starter (sponge) first
1cup (200ml) water mixed with 1 cup flour (100g) and half a teaspoon dried active yeast (yellow tin) eat that mr hollywood

after about 8 ours mix starter dough with another cup of water, 500g flour, a tablespoon oil, half a teaspoon salt.

bake. works well in a breadmaker as well.

Ishouldbeweaving Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:04

I use 60% water, so 600ml to a kilo of white flour. I add a bit more to brown flour because it needs it. I bake mine in the oven and use the dough hook on the mixer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now