Talk

Advanced search

A new mixer

(10 Posts)
whatsagoodusername Mon 03-Nov-14 15:26:52

I've had a cheap handheld mixer for ages. One of the whisk attachment things fell on the floor and DH managed to step on it, bending it out of shape and rendering it useless.

So I really want a Kitchenaid type thing. I mostly do cakes and biscuits. Would love a food processor type, too grating, slicing, chopping. I can't really justify either, would love something that does both, and will ask for it for Christmas. Budget is probably not too high, so can't do the lovely £500+ ones.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Mon 03-Nov-14 16:25:58

I thought the same as you when my hand mixer died. I bought a lovely stand mixer, thinking it would replace my old food processor and hand mixer.

Sadly I'm now selling it as I've found that the bowl is a bit small for many of my cake recipes, I also have to wash it up in between making the batter and the icing, rather than just using whichever bowl I have to hand and making all the icing up for later at the same time.

I have a chopper/grater attachment on it too, but the main thing I used on my old processor was the chopping blade and the liquidiser, so I've had to keep that too and now have two big machines taking up room on the worktop.

Personally I'd go for a nice new hand mixer and some posh bowls, which would still cost half the price of the cheapest stand mixer.

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Mon 03-Nov-14 16:27:46

Btw, if you do decide to go for a stand mixer I have a beautiful barely used red Bosch one looking for a new home!

Lilymaid Mon 03-Nov-14 16:38:02

Much as I would like a gleaming Kitchenaid I know I'd not use it and it would clutter up the worktop (already got a juicer/Magimix/breadmaker etc on show). Go for the best quality, most powerful hand mixer you can find. You will use it frequently and it will leave you with worktop space.

Greenrememberedhills Mon 03-Nov-14 16:52:01

I would have a magimix and a duality stick whisk/blender.

You can make a fair number of cakes in it. I do.

I wouldn't get a kmix or kitchen aid myself. I have one and do use it, but I would miss the magimix far more.

I don't know how much they are these days. Anyway, if they're too expensive I would still look for something similar.

whatsagoodusername Thu 06-Nov-14 16:53:29

Thanks! Guess the consensus is that I shouldn't do it then!

Any recommendations for a good hand mixer?

SamBob Thu 06-Nov-14 17:16:43

My stand mixer is worth every penny to me and if I broke it tomorrow I'd be straight out to get a new one! I have a Kenwood chef and I use it a lot, cakes, biscuits, bread all get made in it. And meringue is much easier! I'd recommend the Kenwood if it's within your budget, they're well made. My mother has one she got as a wedding present 30 years ago. You can get all sort of attachments for them as well. If you're looking at other brands you need one with a decent motor (mine is 800w) which is important for kneading dough and large mixtures. Look at the maximum capacities to see what it's capable of dealing with. Also look for one with metal parts, they'll last longer.

Bunbaker Thu 06-Nov-14 17:23:47

I have this Bosch mixer and it is excellent.

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Thu 06-Nov-14 18:34:31

That's the one I have Bunbaker! I can't get on with it at all. Horses for courses and all that smile

Bunbaker Thu 06-Nov-14 18:40:31

Why not? I have no problem with it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now