Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Cake Catastrophe....

(4 Posts)
JRsandCoffee Mon 03-Nov-14 14:09:28

So, made the Christmas cake yesterday, knowing the oven to be increasingly volatile and vindictive I braved the smell of overheating cardboard and baked it in a box. Sides and bottom perfect, top which was covered only with baking paper burned.

So, this morning I cut the burned top off, flipped the cake over in foil and doused the thing in brandy as I usually would, it is wrapped in foil in the garage. I feared the taste of burned bit would infuse through the cake with the brandy, now I fear that cutting the top will make it dry out unless I actually pickle the damn thing.

Anyone done this and got away with it? Shall I marzipan and ice early? Cake and expensive thing to waste so keen to preserve if possible..... The rest honestly is just nicely browned squishy perfection.....

Doublethecuddles Mon 03-Nov-14 15:11:43

No, just keep feeding it with alcohol every week.

JRsandCoffee Mon 03-Nov-14 20:34:12

Hmmmm perhaps this year I'll replicate the level of perfection in pickling that left innocent morning coffee type visitors fearing the breathalyser a few years back.... Thank you!

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 15-Nov-14 11:07:37

It'll be fine just with regular feeding, don't marzipan early, keep feeding, but no problem chopping off the burnt bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now