Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this for a beginner breadmaker?!

(12 Posts)
Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 29-Oct-14 15:14:11

Hi! I have been aspiring to make my own bread for yonks! Inspired by bake off (and my Mum who baked our bread throughout my childhood) I'm thinking of buying this from lakeland.
www.lakeland.co.uk/18403/Lekue-Silicone-Bread-Maker?gclid=CITP6KiT0sECFYkKwwodFSUAEQ&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!54936361829!!!g!42886483824!&ef_id=VEbiqwAAAVUgZCwn:20141029151334:s
Do you think it's a gimmick? Wjat else should I buy? My Mum always baked in redctangular loaf tins, but I prefer the free loaf (wrong term but you knwo what I mean!!) Any thoughts?

HSMMaCM Wed 29-Oct-14 15:21:49

No idea. I just mix it in the mixer, leave it to rise and then bake it. No bread maker here. Mind you ... Perhaps it would be nicer if I had a bread machine smile. I agree with free shapes. This time I just threw all the dough onto a baking sheet and had a lovely kind of oval loaf.

Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 29-Oct-14 16:38:00

I agree. It's not a machine though just a kind of silicone bowl you can use for weighing, mixing, proving and baking therefore cutting down on mess and washing up - thats what it says anyway!

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 29-Oct-14 16:41:32

I'm not entirely convinced!
If you do it regularly you might want to use a bread machine or stand mixer to speed up the kneading, in which case this will be a bit pointless.
I just bake mine on baking tins with a sheet of PTFE to stop it sticking.

Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 29-Oct-14 20:20:24

Tunip - what is PTFE please?

Viewofthehills Wed 29-Oct-14 20:41:40

I would buy Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley.I have been making bread for ages, but his recipes have made it work even better. His sourdough recipe is so reliable.I've seen that gadget from Lakeland and been tempted. Their rectangular none-stick tins are really good. You can also get the none-stick sheets from them. Great for bread, but also for just about anything else where you would otherwise have to grease a baking sheet!

TheSkiingGardener Wed 29-Oct-14 20:47:19

Bread doesn't need gimicky stuff. Get a good recipe (I'm currently using Paul Hollywoods bloomer recipe) and decide whether you're going to knead by hand or machine.

After that I just free form the loaf on one of the non-stick sheets from the pound shop and then bung it in the oven on a preheated baking stone (wilkinson stone chopping board with the feet taken off (£10)). The non stick sheet makes it easy to put on the hot stone.

Gorgeous bread as a result but seriously don't buy that Lakeland thing. Just get stuck in and you'll work out what will actually work for you.

Bunbaker Wed 29-Oct-14 20:49:59

I think it is a gimmick and a waste of money.

Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 29-Oct-14 21:17:58

Thanks everyone! Thats a good idea for a baking stone Theskiing gardener! I've heard good to put some water/ ice in the bottom of the oven to create steam?

jenmcspen Thu 30-Oct-14 08:48:57

mason cash do a lovely bowl and stone in a bread making kit that is on offer at john lewis at the mo. usually about 30 and think is 17? I just love a mason cash mixing bowl anyway so am biased! smile

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 30-Oct-14 09:28:29

PTFE is the coating on reusable non-stick sheets you can get from Lakeland or sometimes pound shops. (They also make more heavy duty ones to use as oven liners.)
It's very, very effective.

I agree that Bread Matters is a wonderful book. The thing with baking is to really understand the processes and then you don't need to worry too much about following recipes.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 30-Oct-14 16:26:19

I put a little tray of water at the bottom of the oven to create the steam. Works brilliantly.

The baking stone idea came from someone else on here and it's the best one I've had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now