Talk

Advanced search

Cake decorating questions

(6 Posts)
QueenOfGeeks Sun 26-Oct-14 08:16:25

Hi,

I am going to make a fire engine cake for ds's birthday. I am a bit of a novice, but did a Kwazii cake last year that turned out ok. However this year I also have a 11 week old dd. So I would like to make the cake ahead of time then decorate it closer to the time. Can I freeze the cake once it is baked (it will be a chocolate madeira). The cake will be 3/4 layers high. I have a large cake tin so will make one large cake, and then cut it up to make the layers. If I can freeze it, do I freeze it in the cake tin? Or cut it up then freeze? Also do I have to defrost it before putting the butter cream on?

Any suggestions or advice welcome.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sun 26-Oct-14 08:23:36

Yes you can freeze it (i find it makes it moister), I'd cut it up then freeze wrapped in cling film. Defrost on a cake rack before icing, unwrap it first or it will go soggy.

I find a sachet of of white power in buttercream (with the sugar) makes it much more stable for putting fondant over if you are going to, i use one sachet per lb of sugar for a wedding cake, but you won't be transporting this one so probably won't need as much. Just makes it easier to work with.

Good luck, post pictures!

QueenOfGeeks Sat 01-Nov-14 08:46:41

Here is the finished cake, thanks for the advice

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sat 01-Nov-14 19:30:53

Oh wow, that looks just fabulous!!! Lucky DS! Well done.

Cardilover Sat 01-Nov-14 19:32:42

Excellent! Can we see the kwazii cake too?

Doublethecuddles Mon 03-Nov-14 16:03:12

Fantastic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now