Talk

Advanced search

Pie / Flan dish - ceramic or metal

(7 Posts)
PecanNut Tue 09-Sep-14 21:20:13

If you have made / make pies or flans, do you use a ceramic / porcelain dish or a metal tin or something else (e.g. glass)?

What works best?

DH wants to make both meat pies - so deepish ones, and lighter flans / quiches too. I want to make a bakewell pudding.

Any recommendations?

tshirtsuntan Tue 09-Sep-14 21:23:45

I prefer the metal ones with loose bottoms, easier to get the pie/quiche out of the tin. I find I can't remove them from ceramic/glass ones without cutting the pie/quiche.

tshirtsuntan Tue 09-Sep-14 21:25:48

Although you Don't want a loose bottom for a meat pie...sorry blush

Catsmamma Tue 09-Sep-14 21:30:54

meat pies are best on an enamel pie dish imo....most hardware stores seem to have them...or I collected a pile when M&S did pricey puddings in enamel dishes!

Pork pies/anything with a hotwater crust use a springform tin

quiches...I tend to use a couple of very old and date acropal glass dishes, but i do have loose bottomed flan tins too, I usually use those for fancier tarts.

Some of the heavier ceramic ones can lend themselves to making your pastry bottom a bit soggy, so I'd generally get those onto a preheated tray as you put them into the oven.

PecanNut Tue 09-Sep-14 22:36:32

Great advice, thanks so much! I'll have a look around now.

Only flan dish I have is a heavy ceramic one that used to belong to my Granny... no wonder I've never had much success with it.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 16-Sep-14 14:17:25

Less chance of a "Soggy Bottom" with a good metal quiche dish as it conducts heat better (not stainless steel which is not a good conductor - aluminium is excellent). Springforms quite good, but there is nothing you need a Springform for that can't be done in a standard loose based cake pan.

tb Tue 25-Nov-14 10:24:58

For quiches an ordinary metal one is best for conducting the heat and avoiding a soggy bottom.

I have a really old one that rusts, but it's brilliant. The other week I cooked a quiche in a newer aluminium one with a non-stick coating. The bottom was soggy, and that's in an Aga. With the old one it isn't.

The rustable ones are the ones used by professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now