Talk

Advanced search

Which breadmaker shall I buy please?

(14 Posts)
parakeet Tue 02-Sep-14 18:16:22

I sometimes make bread by hand but realistically don't have time to do it that often. I recently bought a breadmaker (Russell Hobbs 18036) but have just returned it to Tesco for a refund (no quibbles, thanks Tesco) because (a) the crust colour button never worked from the day I got it and (b) the paddle was starting to scrape off the non-stick coating from the tin.

So I now face choosing another one. Can anyone recommend one please? Preferably one that has a good wholemeal recipe, and is not too large. I was also a bit disappointed with my last one that the paddle always got stuck in the cooked loaf and had to be gouged out, leaving a large hole behind - but perhaps that is inevitable with a breadmaker?

Thanks for any replies.

Blueistheonlycolour Tue 02-Sep-14 18:36:32

I've got a panasonic SD2501. It's reasonably tall but not a massive footprint. I researched them before I bought them and the panasonics always came up with good reviews.
I've had mine for a year now and use it a couple of times a week.
I make the seeded wholemeal loaf as our general bread.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 02-Sep-14 18:38:11

Panasonic definitely. Had mind a year and used several times a week. They are fab

parakeet Fri 05-Sep-14 09:34:41

Oh god it's a bit pricey. But probably will take your advice. Thanks!
Does the paddle leave a giant hole with this one by the way?

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Sep-14 15:02:10

If you want a cheaper one with a small footprint, I've just got the Lakeland Compact one, which got very good reviews by Which. We just had our first loaf out of it for lunch and it was delicious!

The only thing which might go against it is that it only does a 500g loaf, no options, which might or might not suit your family!

I had to give it a fairly enthusiastic tap to get the bread off the paddle and out of the tin, but the instructions suggest smearing the paddle with a bit of oil/butter/marge to help it slip out easier, so you could try that with whatever model you end up with.

Blueistheonlycolour Fri 05-Sep-14 17:11:04

I was concerned about the hole it would leave - but it leaves more of a "slit" which only affects maybe 3 slices of bread,

Bert2e Fri 05-Sep-14 17:19:06

Panny every time!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 16-Sep-14 14:20:07

Parakeet, I have a Russell Hobbs one I don't use, and would part with it for a small donation to the local Children's Hospice. Are you anywhere near Brum?

JulesJules Tue 30-Sep-14 18:18:20

I'm on my third breadmaker, having worked two Morphy Richards Fast Bakes to death, I now have a Panasonic. More expensive, but build quality much better. Worth it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 15-Oct-14 12:48:58

I have a Panasonic but don't like it. I make bread using my Kenwood mixer, it's so quick and easy plus you can use it for making cakes etc so it's multi functional.

OwlCapone Wed 15-Oct-14 12:52:01

I have an ancient Panasonic that my parents gave me. It is still going strong (and has a loaf of chocolate bread in right now)

I could make it by hand but I don't have anywhere to prove the dough and I like being able to make a single loaf of whatever type I feel like at that moment.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 15-Oct-14 12:53:43

Another vote for the Panasonic. I've had mine 3 years and make 4 loaves a week with no problems. I'm not very adventurous though. How do you make chocolate bread, Owl? Sounds delish!

agoodbook Wed 19-Nov-14 23:03:13

Panasonic here as well- had one for 12 years -on number two now

SingingSands Wed 19-Nov-14 23:08:24

Panasonic. Pricey, but I've not regretted buying it for DH's Christmas about 3 years ago as the quality is fab and we've never had a problem with it. DH chucks all the ingredients in at bedtime and I come downstairs to the smell of fresh bread in the morning about twice a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now