Talk

Advanced search

Disaster!

(9 Posts)
RavenVonChaos Mon 22-Oct-12 22:52:27

Made cupcakes following hummingbird bakery recipe except used granulated instead of caster.

Cakes never rose.....cooked on top but gooey and sticky in middle??

Also made York pudding mix at same time and they rose but were gooey on the bottom!?!!

Any ideas?

PhyllisDoris Mon 22-Oct-12 22:57:52

Did you use SR flour?

CaptainHoratioWragge Mon 22-Oct-12 23:02:26

My cakes do this when the oven is too hot- they get brown and done on top but still gooey inside. I have to cover them with foil and shove them back in to cook through at a lower heat.

BUT a really hot oven should cook the yorkshire's beautifully, so I'm doubting if it is the oven thats the problem- i'm no help!

starfishmummy Mon 22-Oct-12 23:10:06

If you can't rescue the cakes, use them for the sponge layer in a trifle.

RavenVonChaos Tue 23-Oct-12 07:37:11

Thanks ladies it is a mystery!

PhyllisDoris Tue 23-Oct-12 14:10:15

I wonder did the granulated sugar have any effect? It's heavier than caster (or each grain is) - if it wasn't mixed in well enough with the butter????

bacon Tue 23-Oct-12 16:57:58

If you creamed the sugar then that wouldnt have made much difference they still would rise.

Yorkshires require high dont they so confused how you cooked them both at the same time - 220???? First of all I would go out and check your oven temp, you can buy a thermometer for a few pounds.
Make sure you are reading the dial correctly and preheating. Make sure fan assisted is turned off or down. 180/gas 4 is usual.

Check your flour too - did you use the correct ingredients? Did you over mix?

Dont be shy to check your cakes you can open the door only after 3/4 of the cooking is done. Not all ovens are the same so you may have to cook for longer than stated.

If the cakes didnt rise then there is a fundimental fault with either the recipe or your technique.

nannycook Tue 23-Oct-12 21:36:30

Yep thats a mystery to me how you cooked the both when they both need different temperatures, probaly like bacon said, maybe you didnt cream the butter and sugar enough, i beat mine for ages until practically white.

onyx72 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:40:34

Hummingbird Bakery cookbook is dreadful - too many of the recipes didn't work and resulted in cakes that were either too sweet or didn't have enough flour so failed to rise or cook at all.
Read the reviews on amazon. I wish I had before buying the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now