Talk

Advanced search

A deep rich carrot cake....anyone?

(9 Posts)
mischiefmummy Fri 19-Oct-12 11:23:41

Twenty years ago when I lived in Cardiff I used to frequent a cafe called Garlands.

They made a wonderful carrot cake, the like of which I have never found elsewhere.

It was dark, rich (bit like fruit cake) with dates, walnuts, raisins, seasoned with cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. I've searched the internet but to no avail, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful!!

cashmere Fri 19-Oct-12 12:22:22

Could it have been Passion cake. Try googling them.

mischiefmummy Fri 19-Oct-12 16:01:09

Sadly tried both but no luck!

bacon Fri 19-Oct-12 18:32:24

I remember Garlands - it it not there now?

This is a fail safe terrific cake you can add more spice or use two sandwhich tins instead of one, I have also made cupcakes.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4425/carrot-cake

cashmere Sat 20-Oct-12 00:00:28

Googling 'dark carrot cake' got this, might be worth a go.

www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/moist-dark-flavourful-carrot-cake-as-it-should-be-57997162.html?device=mobile

midori1999 Sun 21-Oct-12 01:00:11

The Mich Turner one (on the LVCC website in the cake club section) is delcious! It has coconut as well as rum soaked raisins, walnuts, orange and lemon zest and has a citrus syrup poured over when it comes out of the oven. It is quite fruitcake like and everyone I've made it for absolutely loves it.

mischiefmummy Sun 21-Oct-12 11:32:11

Garlands is long gone sadly Bacon. I popped back about 10 years ago but no luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to keep looking and tweaking until I perfect it!!

coffeeinbed Sun 21-Oct-12 20:06:33

I just made the Mich Turner one, minus syrup - didn't want it too sweet.

coffeeinbed Sun 21-Oct-12 20:06:40

I just made the Mich Turner one, minus syrup - didn't want it too sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now