Talk

Advanced search

Need to make a BIG cake. Can I do it in a roasting tin? Help with quantities needed!

(8 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 17-Oct-12 15:07:40

I want to make a cake to take into work for my last day. It will need to be big as a 16 slice party cake from tescos lasted about 5 minutes last week! hmm

Can I make a big tray cake thing if I use a roasting tray?

If so should I double the cake recipe?

confused

hugoagogo Wed 17-Oct-12 15:15:24

You can use a roasting tin to make a tray bake of course. It works best if your roasting tin has straight sides.

What kind of cake did you want to make? I have a good carrot tray bake recipe if you want it?

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 17-Oct-12 15:35:40

I was thinking of chocolate as that always disappears first. smile

mumblecrumble Wed 17-Oct-12 15:40:51

My I suggest a silicon liner or baking paper to line the roasting tin.

Sounds delicious!

You could proportion up your cake, as its not mega thick it will probably only take 10/15 mins more to bake.

You could sprinkle chocolate buttons of different colour over the cake when it is straight out of the oven and you would get a lovely marbly effect that is very easy.

Have a good last day. Whatss next?

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 17-Oct-12 15:42:59

Was def going to line it - in case it stuck! smile

We are relocating so for now no job for me. Just as well as I'm done with teaching.

hugoagogo Wed 17-Oct-12 16:19:24

Chocolate traybake

4 tablespoons of cocoa powder mixed to a runny paste with 4 tablespoons of hot water.
225g soft butter or margerine
225g caster sugar
275g SR flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
4 eggs
1 tablepoon of milk

Bung everything a large bowl and beat for a couple of mins with a electric mixer.
Pour everything into your lined tin- mine is about 20cmx35cm. Spread it out nicely. Bake for 35-40 mins at 180 C.

When it's cool remove the baking paper, then put the cake back in the tin. Ice it with choc fudge icing and sprinkle with the sweeties of your choice. Then you can wrap a piece of foil over the top to take it into work.

mumblecrumble Wed 17-Oct-12 16:29:57

aaah, you are feeding teachers? I thoroughly approve.

bacon Wed 17-Oct-12 16:38:55

Try these:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2195636/fruity-flag-traybake you can double up this to make a sandwhich, works lovely made mine orange flavoured.

or something like this www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/847649/white-chocolate-spotty-cake

I use a silverwood tin that can be adjusted. 20cm square tin will go a long way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now