Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's "Lily's scones" - help!

(14 Posts)
DinosaurSchool Wed 17-Oct-12 13:04:19

I've tried making these twice today. The first batch were really salty. So I made them again with only a pinch of salt. Still no good. They're always quite heavy and not in any way dreamily light hmm

Also, she says to add the milk, mix very briefly then tip onto a floured surface and knead to a dough. The problem is I seem to just have a sticky mess which it feels like I need to knead for ages to get smooth which I think is why the scones aren't light.

Any suggestions? I've been using the kitchenaid for the flour and butter part but doing the milk using a wooden spoon.

Thanks for any help or any alternative (foolproof wink) recipes!

Marrow Wed 17-Oct-12 13:06:44

I've tried making these several times and have never had any luck with them I'm afraid. I have wondered if there is actually a mistake in the recipe. I have got a good alternative. Will try and post tonight.

stainesmassif Wed 17-Oct-12 13:08:16

Weird. Mine were like fluffy little ready salted clouds. Bloody nigella.

DinosaurSchool Thu 18-Oct-12 11:10:02

She's normally pretty reliable.

Scones! Day 1 of baking school and I've failed!

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 11:11:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

unclefluffy Thu 18-Oct-12 11:15:24

I use no salt at all in these. Also, the kneading is the problem, I'm pretty sure. Mine are always heavier when 3 yo DD gets hold of the dough. I rub the butter into the flour/raising agent mix by hand, tip in the milk and mix as briefly as possible, then scrape out the sticky dough onto a well floured surface. I sprinkle lots of flour on the top before rolling too, especially if it's very sticky. Don't knead them! The whole process only takes me 20 minutes from weighing to wire rack.

leddeeburdee Thu 18-Oct-12 11:16:49

Not just you AMWTM - I find Nigella the least reliable out of all the cake books I use.

Could using the kitchen aid for the flour part be overworking it and making it tough?

This one is very well reviewed BBC GOOD FOOD SCONES and might be worth a try?

Nicknamenotavailableeither Thu 18-Oct-12 11:20:26

I second what unclefluffy says. Not overkneeding is the key to fluffy light scones. I wouldn't use the kitchen aid, just rub in butter and then I very gently mix in milk with a knife. Then put on floured counter and gently roll out.

DinosaurSchool Thu 18-Oct-12 14:19:48

Thanks for replies!

I will try again without the kitchenaid. So does the dough not need to be smooth before I start rolling? I just chuck it on the worktop and roll away?

leddeeburdee thanks for the link. I'll try those too!

Dolallytats Thu 18-Oct-12 14:24:51

I've not made Nigella's scones, but the trick to light scones is not to handle them too much. HTH.

hairtwiddler Thu 18-Oct-12 14:29:19

That recipe has way too much salt in it. I also do the rubbing in by hand.

bluebird68 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:06:36

her baking recipes are not that reliable. some are great but far too many have something wrong. Did lily scones once and they were the heaviest i've ever done (and i'm good at scones) . don't bother with that recipe again

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 10:13:05

I use a magimix for scones and it's crucial that the butter is properly cold from the fridge (not from the dish!) and the water is also very very cold.

You need to work the mix as little as possible. And run your hands under the cold tap before handling the mix to cut out the scones.

My mum makes great scones by hand but she has the coldest hands ever!

I don't use nigella just my trusty 1960s penguin cookery book smile

DinosaurSchool Fri 19-Oct-12 13:32:11

Oooh - cold hands? Interesting.

My mum is visiting next week and she is a bloody expert on everything quite good at baking so I'll try again then.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now