Talk

Advanced search

Another dreaded question about my wedding cake next year??

(12 Posts)
nannycook Mon 15-Oct-12 20:41:33

As everyone knows by now the wedding cake i'm making next year was supposed to be 3 tier with a cutting cake and a gruit cake, now she might have changed her mind, question, the top tier, could i get away with it being the fruit cake? albeit a small one, would the second tier possibly 9 or 8 inch cake (dont know yet what she wants, dont think she knows either!!) hoild a small fruit cake or not? i've only ever made a 2tier cake before.

bacon Mon 15-Oct-12 21:48:13

Me neither but my understanding it will be fine as the plastic dowling will def hold on the ground level. The cake boards will distrube the weight evenly. Are you covering them, you using a larger board? I would think that you would def have to use a cake drum for a fruit though.

nannycook Mon 15-Oct-12 22:14:17

Bacon, the first 2 tiers will be sponge and maybe the 3rd tier a small fruit cake, again i'm not sure what she wants yet, but i'm trying find answers to all her questions before she throws them at me, and she does believe me, thurs i have to make 3 different flavours of cakes for her, which i guess is only fair as she has no idea what my cakes are like.

emblosion Wed 17-Oct-12 19:59:55

I'm not a cake expert, but when I was organising my wedding cake my understanding was that you can't have fruit cake on the top tier (on top of sponge) because it is too heavy?

Apologies if that's not what you meant!

nannycook Wed 17-Oct-12 20:55:04

emblosion, i know what you mean and i wouldnt normally do it, but i thought maybe if it was just a small one, 6inch,possibly i could get away with it. But untill she gets her act together i have no idea yet, maybe she's waiting til i give her my samples on the weekend to decide if she wants me to even do it, must be honest, would be quite happy if she didnt!

mrsvilliers Wed 17-Oct-12 21:48:40

She sounds a nightmare. Would Madeira cake hold a small one? Or could you cheat and use a tiered cake stand?

bulletwithspookybatwings Wed 17-Oct-12 21:53:47

I did a wedding cake earlier in the year with a dense chocolate cake at tgey bottm a lemon drizzle cake in the middle and a fruit cake on top. As long as you dowel the cake properly it's fine.

nannycook Thu 18-Oct-12 22:01:00

Thanks bullet thats just what i wanted to hear.

5ThingsUnderTheBed Thu 18-Oct-12 22:06:42

My sister got married in August and her cake was three tier with the top layer being fruit. The top cake was iced including the cake board (same size as cake) and rods were also used.

nannycook Thu 18-Oct-12 22:24:00

5Things, again thanks for the input, i really dont know why i'm worrying.

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Fri 19-Oct-12 16:21:57

I regularly put fruit on the top tier of wedding cakes. As long as you dowel it properly it will be fine as it will be the dowel that supports the weight, not the cake. And by that I mean position the dowelling in the same position in each tier.

I actually use proper 1" builders type dowelling for wedding cakes - gives much more stability than the cheapie plastic ones.

nannycook Fri 19-Oct-12 21:12:12

Ta for advice OhDear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now