Talk

Advanced search

Which strawberry jam to use on birthday cake?

(8 Posts)
UserNameNotAvailable Mon 15-Oct-12 17:05:04

Im going to attempt my first birthday cake for dd's 5th birthday and will be baking a madeira sponge with buttercream and jam filling.

Which jam do you all recommend? For some reason I cant imagine hartleys jam tasting right in a cake but maybe it'll be ok spread thinly?

Thanks

Sparkles23 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:08:09

I use Sainsburys basics strawberry jam and it works very well!! More sugar than fruit content but works on a Madeira cake and cheap too. Always buy decent stuff for my toast though! grin

Loopy4got Mon 15-Oct-12 17:11:38

Dear oh dear, doesn't anyone make their own any more?............

(Yes am standing by for a good old mumsnet bashing!)

nannycook Mon 15-Oct-12 19:42:08

Ha Ha Loopy, not gonna mumsnet bash you, i'd really really love to have the time to make my own, i make most things from scratch, i work fulltime and on my day off i look after a very active 3 yr old. I will own up up to buying shop jam, but it has to be seedless raspberry jam for me everytime, hee hee!!

nannycook Mon 15-Oct-12 19:43:46

All my cakes on my profile has raspberry jam in them too.

bacon Mon 15-Oct-12 21:43:38

Good question - as you dont want fruit lumps more of a puree but suppose you could puree a good jam with a stick blender?

Jam snob me I love Bonne maman or TTD. Never thought of seedless but does that take away the depth of flavour?

nannycook Mon 15-Oct-12 22:07:39

Well bacon i started using seedless because most of my cakes were made for kids and i thought if they bit on a seed albeit a small seed then they wouldnt eat the cake, thats the only reason really and it kinda stuck with me

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 15-Oct-12 22:18:49

I prefer raspberry too...no specific brand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now