Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

making a person out of icing, i have questions

(13 Posts)
minimuffy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:48:13

I have decided to make DDs birthday cake, it not till Dec 1st tho. So i attempted to ice a cake with marzipan and fondant icing, all went well, even managed to dye some icing to make a 'ribbon' over it.

but Im wanting to make a wee model of dd to top it with her fav cuddly toy. But i want to attempt a couple of 'testers' to see if its feasable!

so here are my questions:

how far in advance can i make a model

can you freeze icing?

pre coloured stuff is expensive, will i be ok dying it myself? or is there somewhere i can get small amounts of icing?

cheers!

Osmiornica Sun 14-Oct-12 20:55:04

Since you're unlikely to eat it you can make it well in advance. I don't buy ready mixed icing as it's expensive but then I do make a fair few cakes so i have the gel food colourings. They last for ages and you only need a small amount to make a deep rich colour. You can buy them either in a set of 8 or individually.

No idea about freezing it - there's normally no need. Once it's dried out you can store it in a tub/box.

When you make a figure add some gum tragacanth to the icing. This will harden the icing when it dries out and makes sure the figure doesn't sag. Make each seperate part and dry it out a little bit before assembling. You can use either cocktail sticks cut down or just use dried spaghetti to stick the pieces together (eg arms/legs). put the spaghetti in straight away before letting the pieces dry out. Then stick them together with some icing glue (just icing sugar and a little water).

minimuffy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:59:29

thank you :-)

Osmiornica Sun 14-Oct-12 21:01:11

you're welcome. feel free to ask if you have any problems smile

minimuffy Sun 14-Oct-12 21:17:52

how long do yet let them dry out for?

nannycook Sun 14-Oct-12 21:24:38

Hi mini, i made a model of a little girl recently, pic on my profile, i made it a week or two before i made the cake.

minimuffy Sun 14-Oct-12 21:37:00

oh wow, they are amazing nannycook!

what did you use for eyes?

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Sun 14-Oct-12 21:56:54

how far in advance can i make a model Way in advance. I still have my city and guilds certificate pieces from 20 years ago.

can you freeze icing? NO. Sugar is hydrophilic so if you freeze it would defrost as a nasty, slimey gloopy mess

pre coloured stuff is expensive, will i be ok dying it myself? or is there somewhere i can get small amounts of icing? You will need paste colours to get the intensity of colour you want. Regalice do 250g packs of precoloured icing that are about £1.60 so you could just buy a couple of those and make sure you keep your model "colour coordinated"

nannycook Sun 14-Oct-12 22:12:43

mini i painted them on, the head was made with a mould, gives you all the indentations, eyes, neck, even ears, blushed her cheeks with powder etc.

minimuffy Sat 20-Oct-12 21:02:02

I will be attempting a trial tomorrow, will post pictures when i get the chance!

minimuffy Sat 20-Oct-12 21:03:55

also, i dont have any tragacanth, is there anything else i could use to harden it?
could i bake it or will it dry out and harden in time?

nannycook Sat 20-Oct-12 22:36:33

Mini, i didnt use tragacanth, i just used the fondant called modelling fondant, its a small packet about 250grms and costs about £2.50. If you attempt to make it just out of fondant it will be so soft and may break, i know i've made daisies and gerberas out of ordinary fondant because i thought i could get away with it and they broke as soon as i moved them.

Osmiornica Sun 21-Oct-12 14:13:14

modelling fondant is just ready made with the gum tragacanth already in it but might be easier to buy if you're only doing this the once. It's cheaper to buy the powder and normal icing though if you do a fair few of these.

If you do end up having to use normal icing then I would suggest keeping the work area as cold as possible - take regular breaks and wash hands in cold water. If the icing gets warm it'll sag and spoil the model. You'll need to make each piece seperately and let it dry out a bit before assembling but to be honest it might not work at all. You'll have to handle it with great care - try making it on rice paper so you can place it directly on the cake without handling it too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now