Talk

Advanced search

Dried apricot recipes

(9 Posts)
forevergreek Sat 13-Oct-12 18:24:54

So we have an influx of dried apricots.
Usually I would snack on/ add to musli / porridge etc.. But 80% of what we have are organic apricots and therefore that horrid looking brown/ black colour due to natural preserving methods. So don't seem so appealing to the eye to eat regularly

I am going to make a lamb tagine with some and was hoping to bake something with the rest

I am TERRIBLE at baking! ( can cook but baking usually fails)

So what ideas would you recommend?

Can I make apricot bread? ( my banana bread seems to be the only fail safe thing)

I don't really want to have to buy more things, just use some cupboard ingredients. ( we have most baking basis I think, and a few eggs)

Or how easy is chutney? Or is that a different ball game I should avoid?

forevergreek Sat 13-Oct-12 18:26:47

Oh and I can make courgette and carrot muffins aka annabel karmel! Can I just replace with apricots?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 13-Oct-12 18:55:44

I just swap them with raisins or sultanas in recipes (chopped of course). Nice in scones, fruit bread, muffins, just exchange the same weight in whatever tried and trusted recipes you use and it should work fine. I also have a Cranks recipe for Armenian soup that involves apricots with lentils and cumin - sounds a bit rank but really isn't and is v v easy. Let me know if you want me to pass it on to you.

sashh Mon 15-Oct-12 05:31:28

Not baked but

Soak overnight so they plump up
place a piece of brie in the opening
wrap with (streaky) bacon and put in the oven for 20 mins

laptopwieldingharpy Mon 15-Oct-12 05:44:30

apricot sauce?

soak overnight with a vanilla pod
blend next day with a touch of lemon juice
freeze portions in small sandwich bags to use on top of granola, greek yogurt, ice cream etc...

like the idea of armenian soup, recipe please?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 15-Oct-12 20:13:51

No probs.

Cranks Armenian soup
2oz red lentils
2oz dried apricots
1 large potato
2 pints veg stock
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp ground cumin

Chop the potato and apricots. Put everything in a large pan and bring to boil. Simmer for half an hour. Cool, liquidise. Season to taste. Reheat to serve.

Fillybuster Mon 15-Oct-12 20:18:58

1. Stick a load in a saucepan, add a cinnamon stick and some star anise, and about half a pint of water (and a bit of sugar) and cook slowly. Makes a beatiful dessert, especially served over greek yoghurt or ice cream. Also yummy for breakfast smile

2. Chutney is dead easy, but you will need to do lots of chopping. In which case you can try snipping them with scissors - I think its a easier. Search for the Nigella apple and cranberry chutney recipe on the internet and swap the cranberries for apricots.

3. Chicken & apricot stew....there's a Waitrose recipe on their website - I tend to add garlic and a load more cumin, cinnamon and turmeric than they call for (actually, I go quite freestyle) but its a bloody good starting point.

4. Post them to me?!

forevergreek Mon 15-Oct-12 21:02:11

Mmm thanks. Ended up making flapjacks, that apricot sauce able and a lamb tagine ..

laptopwieldingharpy Tue 16-Oct-12 01:12:34

Tks!
We do something similar (an indian Daal). But a bit fussy and to many flavors.
I like the simplicity of the armenian soup. Will give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now