Talk

Advanced search

Making a grassy iced cake- tips?

(22 Posts)
LordFlasheart Tue 09-Oct-12 11:40:46

I am making a chocolate hill cake on Thursday for my mums birthday. It will be covered in green 'grass' and flowers, inspired by the cupcakes shown here: fab

I have my wilton nozzle, my green paste colourant, and disposable icing bags.

Just wondered if anyone has done this before, and has any tips? I think I'm supposed to use buttercream, but if you know different let me know!

TIA

DinosaurSchool Tue 09-Oct-12 11:50:07

I have seen 'grass' created using dessicated coconut and green food colouring. It looked amayyyzing but I have no idea how easy it was to do.

<half an answer>

Macarooned Tue 09-Oct-12 11:51:57

I've done a grassy field just using coloured buttercream and making it spiky / rough all over with the flat side of a palate knife
<rubbish description, sorry>

DinosaurSchool Tue 09-Oct-12 11:52:35

Sorry just re read and seen that you've all the gubbins ready for the other style.

<crawls back under stone>

SavoyCabbage Tue 09-Oct-12 11:52:35

I did the coconut grass this weekend for a horse riding cake. It looked really good. I used shredded coconut and mixed it in a bowl with green food colouring. Then I spread it on a plate and left it for a while to dry out a bit. Done. It looked very grassy.

HesAwayAgain Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:21

I made a flower cake, using my garlic press to produce short lengths of regalice, which I think would work well for grass. I'll try to put a pic on my profile. Was very easy, looked impressive, was quite slow. I coloured it 2-3 shades and did clumps at a time.

bacon Tue 09-Oct-12 11:55:19

Yes, I have the Wilton nozzle its www.wilton.com/technique/Grass

you can also do it with a garlic press if using a soft sugarpaste but it is hardwork.

LtEveDallas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:55:56

Same answer as above - I had to do grass for one of DDs birthday cakes. I got a box of dessicated coconut, put it into a bowl, mixed it with a few drops of green food colouring then spread it onto a baking tray to dry out. It worked really well.

I used liquid food colouring rather than paste, made sure I was wearing gloves and mixed it all up with my hands. Didn't take too long, but was very messy!

LordFlasheart Tue 09-Oct-12 12:03:43

I have the wilton nozzle so planning on using that- just wondered if it was buttercream that I use- will it be stiff enough to hold the shape?

Thanks for all the grassy stories :O)

LordFlasheart Tue 09-Oct-12 12:04:33

<pulls dino out from under stone and feeds with cake>

DinosaurSchool Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:32

grin

Groveregg Tue 09-Oct-12 12:37:24

Yes I used normal butter icing when I did this recently with the Wilton nozzle. The only thing I noticed was that as I was doing it my hands would start to melt the icing and it kept getting too soft so I did a combination of a) using only a little in the icing bag at a time and refilling it quite often and b) wrapping a towel around the icing bag in the hope it would keep my hot hands a bit further away from the icing. It looked fab when it was done! Good luck

LordFlasheart Tue 09-Oct-12 17:27:06

i have hot hands! Thank you thats useful. Wi:-)do the same. Ill post a pic when its done, to add to my cake pic collection :-)

nannycook Tue 09-Oct-12 22:15:25

Hi Flasheart, if you make your buttercream quite stiff it will hold the shape better, also did mine with royal icing to make grass around cauliflower and carrots i made, pic on my profile.

LordFlasheart Wed 10-Oct-12 12:32:09

Very nice pictures- just had a look. Really good decorating! <impressed>

LordFlasheart Wed 10-Oct-12 12:32:57

Loved the grassy one by the way grin- hope mine looks as professional!

LordFlasheart Thu 11-Oct-12 13:56:01

Done. Picture on profile- not quite how I wanted it- but happy enough for a first go!

nannycook Thu 11-Oct-12 21:35:23

Flasheart, thats really good, you should be really proud of yourself!

nannycook Thu 11-Oct-12 22:03:35

Flasheart, thanks for your comments, i haven't made a cake for a month and i'm starting to have withdrawal effects, but i moved three weeks ago and i'm still trying to find things,arrrgh!!

Flicktheswitch Thu 11-Oct-12 22:09:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannycook Thu 11-Oct-12 22:16:00

Flick, that takes me back to my very first cake,i made a dinosaur cake for my son who if i remember that far back was 4, i felt so proud, i coloured the coconut like you and scattered it around the dinosaur, it was a terrible day weatherwise for his party, i got out of the car and the wind blew the coconut everywhere, i was not happy, the things you remember eh? it was 32 years ago though, tee hee.

eightytwenty Thu 11-Oct-12 22:20:41

I cooked pudding rice with food colouring, which I covered with cling film and sat tent cake on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now