Talk

Advanced search

Cake decorating - how to make stars on bits of wire?

(5 Posts)
shoppingbagsundereyes Mon 08-Oct-12 20:30:56

Lots of the cake images I've been looking at online have bits of wire coming out of the top of the cake with icing stars and hearts on. On iPad and too dim to do links but hope you know what I mean. How do you make these? What sort of icing? What type of wire etc etc
Thanks

nannycook Mon 08-Oct-12 20:43:13

shoppingbags, they're very easy to make, you can buy the wires in a local cake dec shop, you also need to buy posy picks, to hold them in as you dont stick the wires straight into the cake, roll out your icing, say modelling fondant icing or flower paste as the dry harder and wont break, cut your stars, hearts etc, make them thick enough to stick the wires in, cut the wires to what lenght you need, pop them into your pick then position in you cake, thats how i do it anyway but theres plenty of people on here to give you advice If you look on my profile pics i did a similar one with stars for DD's 30th b'day.

shoppingbagsundereyes Mon 08-Oct-12 20:57:30

Brilliant thanks. Your pics are exactly what I'd like to try for dh's 40th cake.

nannycook Mon 08-Oct-12 21:10:15

Give it a go you may surprise youself! it really isnt that difficult, and thet can be made in advance and kept till you need them, then have a go at making blossom flowers, with the little cutters they disguise a few minor probs with cakes.

AnitaBlake Mon 08-Oct-12 21:18:58

it really is that easy, the trick is to leave them to dry till they are rock solid. I covered loads in black sparkle for my wedding cake, it looked fab, even if I do say so my self!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now