Talk

Advanced search

Home of Fabulous Cakes

(14 Posts)
Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 16:58:38

On ITV now, just about to end I think.

Who knew?

A woman making variously decorated cakes, this week using vegetables like beetroot or courgette. Sponsored by Dr Oetker (of course).

The small bit I saw looked pretty amateur, in it's production. I couldn't read the ingredients list for instance, as the colour was far too light to see. Camera work was a bit crap too.

The classic gathering of friends and family at the end to eat the goodies was slightly amusing. "I tried the (whatever it was, can't remember); I think it tasted of courgette. Yes, it was (pause) really good." (paraphrasing, btw). grin

nannycook Sun 07-Oct-12 18:58:00

Jux, i saw that too, Fiona Cairns was the woman taking the class, must be honest i also thought the fondant veggis were rubbish, i've made so much better early on this year on a gardening cake i made for someone.

Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 19:23:45

I thought it was pretty crap, too! The cakes weren't delectable, I wasn't inspired to give it a go, and there were those horrid cardboard-like-stick-thing-pretzels all round the showpiece. I thought of Mary Berry's reaction to the shredded wheat roof on bake-off grin

Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 19:25:48

And now I've looked at your cakes, I can see that you definitely would do better than that veg plot cake (and probably taste nicer too).

MyCatHasStaff Sun 07-Oct-12 19:31:01

I said to DH 'I wonder what she used to look like pretzels' - then they were pretzels stuck to the side of a cake with an inch of demerara sugar on it!! Wtf.
I think she looks like she doesn't really want to be there too, I'm finding it hard to like her.

Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 19:35:35

I didn't warm to her; but to be fair I only saw the last 5 or 10 minutes. It did leave me thinking that I wouldn't be making a special effort to see it again.

Do you think Dr Oetker actually make the programme, rather than just sponsoring it? It would explain a lot. If it had been commissioned by ITV then it would be more professional, surely?

nannycook Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:19

Ha ha, PRETZELS, whats that about? i thought i was seeing things, i'm glad she didnt teach me when i went to cake decorating classes. thank you for the nice comments though about my cakes.
Yes, Mary Berry does find it hard to hide her dismay at their creations on GBBO doesn't she, love that programme to, or maybe its Paul Hollywood i like instead.
Yep, i think your right there, Dr Oetker cake decs are okay in somethings but abit naff in other.

MyCatHasStaff Sun 07-Oct-12 20:26:49

I saw another one of these where she made a teapot (which to be fair was very nice), but they skipped a few steps, so the one she was working on was quite a bit different to the finished one. And it had these odd, flat spout and handle arrangements, where I would have just made them from fondant and stuck them on. I wonder if they think they're aiming at less experienced viewers?

MyCatHasStaff Sun 07-Oct-12 21:36:37

Just found out she made the royal wedding cake

Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 21:38:50

shock

nannycook Sun 07-Oct-12 22:37:59

Yes, i did know that. i saw a photo of it, very very tall, all white or similar, was nice though!

Jux Sun 07-Oct-12 22:53:44

Mycathasstaff, your cakes are gorgeous too! I am in awe of both of you; could never do such lovely things (I really couldn't, have ms, hands don't do what I tell them). Very envious! I must try harder to get dd into cake decorating, she's great with her hands. smile

Mind you, even I don't use Dr O stuff!

MyCatHasStaff Sun 07-Oct-12 23:01:48

Thank you smile I just dabble really

nannycook Mon 08-Oct-12 19:17:18

Cats, just had a nose at your pics too, they are really good!

Jux, start with something simple, you'll be suprised how quickly you learn, eveyone has to start somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now