Talk

Advanced search

Lost my recipe for my son's Christening cake and need to make it next week

(8 Posts)
Hoophopes Sat 06-Oct-12 17:39:30

Hi - I am an inexperienced baker, but I practised making a sponge/madeira type cake with my Mum a few months ago and it worked. However I lost the piece of paper with it on and Mum has since passed away, and I desperate to make it like we did! I was planning on using fondant icing and have bought a cake topper - could I use buttercream icing to hold the topper on, or is there a better way?

Would appreciate a recipe if anyone has one of a cake that will hold the weight of icing etc. Thanks.

Hoophopes Sat 06-Oct-12 17:40:09

I have a 10" round tin.

blueberryboybait Sat 06-Oct-12 20:59:00

Is the topper icing or plastic? If it is icing then a little vodka/water brushed where you want the topper to go will hold it in place, if it is plastic then if you mix a little fondant with water to make a thickish glue and use that to stick the topper on.

As for madeira cake I use the wedding cake recipe on the Good Food website, it works well and I have never had a flop with it.

Hoophopes Sun 07-Oct-12 10:43:33

Hi - it is clay dough, sorry should have posted that information. Thanks will look up that recipe, sounds helpful.

blueberryboybait Sun 07-Oct-12 13:07:32

With claydough then the fondant glue should work, or just balance it on once the cake is set up for the day.

Hoophopes Sun 07-Oct-12 19:53:16

thanks blueberry - will try the fondant glue. I am going to try cutting letters out of fondant as well, so will try it for that also.

blueberryboybait Sun 07-Oct-12 19:58:18

When cutting the letters out of fondant dip the cutters in corn flour first then the letters will not stick and retain their shape better.

Hoophopes Sun 07-Oct-12 20:01:06

Thanks for that - think will try a few letters first as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now