Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cream cheese topping

(12 Posts)
Yorky Mon 01-Oct-12 20:34:29

You know the stuff I mean, goes on the top of carrot cakes and is very yummy and (ahem) totally calorie free hmm

I cannot make it!
My carrot cake rocks, but I am apparently incapable of getting the topping right.

Please, kind people, your words of wisdom. (And don't suggest the yucky ready made plastic stuff in tubs)

racingheart Mon 01-Oct-12 20:52:59

I read a recipe recently that said equal parts of philadelphia and mascarpone, with double that weight of icing sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and a squeeze of OJ or lemon - forget which. not made it myself but thought it sounded good. It was a topping for carrot cake. If it's too runny you just keep adding more calorie free icing sugar until it's the right consistency. Also, if it goes in the fridge, it firms up a bit.

Think you have to use high fat versions, as low fat have water in, and won't firm up again after being blended.

janey1234 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:55:35

125g cream cheese, 250g icing sugar, 1-2 tbsp lime juice. Absolutely delicious, tastier than the sum of its parts!smile

Bunbaker Mon 01-Oct-12 20:57:25

Is this one any good?

This sounds nice as well.

Just make sure you use full fat cream cheese or it will go runny.

janey1234 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:13:11

By the way, that's nigella 's recipe, not mine! I have tried and tested it though smile

Yorky Mon 01-Oct-12 21:59:22

Full fat, bugger.
Guess who didn't read the packet when she picked it up blush grrr

why full fat? can I not thicken it with a full packet of icing sugar?

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 01-Oct-12 22:01:08

Can't remember the details but I use the Hummingbird's cream cheese topping and it's delish smile

CharlieMumma Mon 01-Oct-12 22:06:39

Yup must be full fat it doesn't work otherwise - think that must be ur problem!

Bunbaker Tue 02-Oct-12 17:59:09

"can I not thicken it with a full packet of icing sugar?"

No, the sugar just dissolves. Low fat cream cheese always goes runny when you blend it and is useless for frosting.

Yorky Wed 03-Oct-12 13:45:36

Shame the DC ate my delicious carrot muffins before I got chance to ice them!
Better luck next time!

lolalotta Thu 04-Oct-12 06:27:32

I've only managed to get it right once I need to do more practice, but the time it did go right was undated butter at room temp so it is nice and soft and full ft Philadelphia at fridge temp and icing sugar sifted. The secret seems to be to NOT OVER-BEAT the cream cheese, if over beaten will make it runny instead of thick...,

lolalotta Thu 04-Oct-12 06:27:53

Undated= unsalted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now