Talk

Advanced search

Can I decorate a carrot cake with sugarpaste?

(9 Posts)
caffinequeen Mon 01-Oct-12 19:58:39

I want to make DH a Gruffalo cake that someone had linked to on a thread a while back (I only have DD's - this is my cake decorating respite from fairies, princesses and all things pink!). DH is not a huge fan of madeira cake though, he would rather have an undecorated cake than a fancy looking plain cake - a bit selfish if you ask me wink. Can I get the best of both worlds and make a carrot cake but decorate it in sugarpaste? would it be too moist for that?

blueberryboybait Mon 01-Oct-12 20:09:15

Yes you can, you will need to give it a base coat of buttercream first, allow the buttercream to set and crust over then cover with sugarpaste.

caffinequeen Mon 01-Oct-12 22:50:00

Brilliant thank you. Gruffalo carrot cake it is!

ja9 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:55:15

Yes you can. Blueberry - do you always let buttercream set first? I didn't know that....

blueberryboybait Tue 02-Oct-12 16:02:21

Yes, I do. If you let it set and crust over then it doesn't go as squishy under the fondant.

wem Tue 02-Oct-12 16:25:20

Don't you have problems with the fondant not sticking to the buttercream if you do that blueberry? I try to make sure I don't have to leave the cake at that stage for too long as I've had problems with the fondant not gripping to the sides and slipping down and either getting thin or breaking at the edge of the cake. I only do a very thin crumb coat of buttercream so it isn't generally squishy under the fondant.

wem Tue 02-Oct-12 16:26:41

Sorry, to give my answer to the original question - covering carrot cake with fondant is just fine. I'll think I'll be doing the same for DH's birthday as it's his favourite too smile

bacon Tue 02-Oct-12 17:43:31

The only problem is cutting it, you'll have to cut large pieces as carrot cake is crumbly thats why most cakes are sponges. Can I recommend a good rich chocolate cake?

ja9 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:53:37

blueberry - thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now