Talk

Advanced search

I have 300 cakes to make for sat/sun...

(8 Posts)
redwallday Sun 30-Sep-12 22:24:35

...my OH is now away until Friday night and my 1 year old has just started with a wacking high temp. I also have a 3 year old to cope with and a job to do mon/tues. I'm going to go insane by Saturday aren't I?? sob

DrSeuss Mon 01-Oct-12 07:51:18

Sympathies! If you measured the ingredients out the night before then got up an hour earlier, you could get about 6doz a day. Sponge freezes, though maybe not with cupcake papers? Make slabs of sponge, freeze, defrost then ice and cut into squares? In an emergency, Asda and Morrison's ready made frosting is Ok but not as good as homemade. Butter icing can be made by the gallon and will keep in the fridge. Melted chocolate is an easy thing to top a cake with. If you put edible glitter and lots of pretty things on even mediocre cake, people ooh and aah, in my experience!
Small people are forever spiking temps but they rarely last long.
Good luck!

blueberryboybait Mon 01-Oct-12 20:16:26

You can make them in batches and freeze them in their papers, if you have 2 trays you can bake 24 at a time which will save heaps of time. Use an icecream scoop to measure the mixture into the papers then they will all be even sized and cook at the same rate.

If you freeze some then defrost at room temp with open tops, if you defrost in a box/covered in cling film they will sweat and go soggy. Make a huge batch of buttercream and then you can keep it in the fridge and use it when you are ready. You could ice them on Friday if that make it easier.

MikeLitoris Mon 01-Oct-12 21:18:00

Sympathies from me too.

I have a four teir christening cake and 50 baby shower cakes to do for Sunday. Work everyday this week and 3dc to look after, including a poorly 21mo dd2 who is refusing to sleep.

Good luck!

blue2 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:20:47

I have made up the cake mixture and dolloped it into plastic bags to freeze.

Defrost mixture, snip off corner of bag, and pipe the mixture into the cases.

But above all - my sympathies!

nannycook Mon 01-Oct-12 21:56:04

Blue, who you making all those cakes for?

blue2 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:17:39

Oh, I used to make them for weddings. Got my creative juices going, but I made zilch money-wise... and all the cooking to be done of a Thursday and Friday AND those Godzilla brides!

Didn't do it for long!

nannycook Sun 07-Oct-12 20:39:47

outfoxed, how did your cakes turn out? all 300 of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now