Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a fail safe scone recipe?

(10 Posts)
MacAndCheese Sun 30-Sep-12 21:48:06

About the gist of it really.

And any tips for light fluffy mouthfuls of heaven? Thank you.

DrSeuss Mon 01-Oct-12 07:52:36

The one on the Delia site is good. Just be gentle, no pounding or pulling about.

melonribena Mon 01-Oct-12 07:54:57

I recommend the Paul Hollywood recipe! Very light and they rise brilliantly

lljkk Mon 01-Oct-12 07:56:57

I did the one on BBC website recently & it turned out quite nice in spite of me making loads of mistakes.

My tip is don't overcook, they dry out a lot more than you expect.

wibblywobbler Mon 01-Oct-12 08:22:20

I do the Aggie McKenzie ones, they're delicious, any duff batch has been due to a screw up on my part not hers

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 08:25:20

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1729/ultimate-scones

Best scones ever!

Lambethlil Mon 01-Oct-12 08:27:19

I use very cold butter and grate it to get it small enough. Agree with other posters not to handle too much, and make sure the oven is well preheated before they go in.

VikingVagine Mon 01-Oct-12 10:37:17

Mix/handle as little as possible (the dough should be irregular and lumpy), cut straight down, no twisting the cutter! If you use an egg wash, don't let it dribble down the side.

MacAndCheese Mon 01-Oct-12 10:41:46

Ooh lots of responses! Thank you all. Another query, do you add stuff to your scones? Ie chopped up olives etc?

Bunbaker Mon 01-Oct-12 10:47:36

Most scone recipes work, but most people over handle the dough and that makes them tough and not light and fluffy.

Tips for good scones:
Use buttermilk instead of milk
Add half a teaspoon of baking powder to the SR flour
Just bring the mixture together with a knife until it comes together and don't knead it or overwork it
Bake the scones as soon as you have made up the mixture. Adding liquid immediately activates the raising agent and if you leave it they won't rise well.
Pat the dough out don't roll it
Don't make the dough too thin - an inch thick is about right
Cook in a hot oven for about 10 - 12 minutes. (I cook mine at gas mark 7)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now