Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need help with stacking a cake..

(19 Posts)
MikeLitoris Fri 28-Sep-12 14:50:34

I know I have asked this before but I have finally committed to a 4 tier cake for a christening next week and I need help.

I can make and decorate the tiers no problem but I am petrified of stacking them.

what boards do you use? even the thin ones asda and hobbycraft sell seem too thick to be able to push a wooden dowel through.

will the bubble straws be strong enough dowels or would I be better getting wooden ones?

I was planning on doing a Madeira for the base, then chocolate, then vanilla sponge then choc on top tier. Will that be ok?

anyone got a fool proof madeira recipe? mine always seem really dry.

I'm off to the nearest decent cake decorating shop tomorrow and am hoping to buy the boards there.

I'l try and put a pic on my profile of the cake the mum wants.

blueberryboybait Fri 28-Sep-12 18:05:39

Mike - you use the thin boards and the dowel goes into the cake and the board rest on the dowels withing the cake, the dowels don't pierce the board at all.

Big cake drum for the bottom tier, then thin boards the exact size of the cakes for the next layers. I would use wooden dowels for the bottom 2 tiers and straws for the next 2 tiers.

LEt me see if I can find the last stacking post I did......

blueberryboybait Fri 28-Sep-12 18:08:05

about half way down this one

If you are worried use more dowels/straws than suggested.

MikeLitoris Fri 28-Sep-12 19:22:57

That is brilliant.

Do you use a central dowel? That's what concerns me about the thickness of the card.

I'm hoping to have a practice tomorrow but am just so busy atm.

midori1999 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:14:51

Central dowels are more common in America. You can use a blob of royal icing or let down sugar paste to hold the tiers in place once stacked.

I would personally use dowels for all but the top tier, which obviously won't need anything and I prefer plastic dowels.

MikeLitoris Fri 28-Sep-12 21:15:58

It's the central one I'm stressing over.

Royal icing blobs sound much less faff.

I feel a bit calmer now. I'm actually looking forward to the individual tiers, the dc's names going on there would get a few hmm

blueberryboybait Sat 29-Sep-12 19:30:21

Never used a central dowel before blush

Like Midori I use a squodge of royal icing in the middle of the tiers and use it to stick the tiers together once you setting up.

CotherMuckingFunt Sat 29-Sep-12 19:34:13

Shit blueberry your cakes are AMAZING

CotherMuckingFunt Sat 29-Sep-12 19:34:45

and yes, I do exactly as blueberry says.

blueberryboybait Sat 29-Sep-12 19:47:17

Cother - Thank you blush blush

nannycook Sat 29-Sep-12 19:59:17

Hiya Mike, you've gone quiet for awhile, you've got another challange going for you then? i have'nt made a cake for few weeks as i moved, but got one or two in the next few weeks. Yours sounds good.

MikeLitoris Sat 29-Sep-12 20:33:10

I am relieved to hear there is no real need for a central dowell.

My new concern is the top tier. It is 6in and The name the mum wants on it is long. I think it will look silly but she is adamant it's what she wants. The cake is for 4dc so a name for each tier, but she will not let me put a shorter name there confused

nanny I've been on holiday so not much cakey stuff happening. I have a few coming up this month though. Have you moved far?

Customthumbdrives Sun 30-Sep-12 09:22:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nannycook Sun 30-Sep-12 18:37:29

No Mike 2 miles down the road, abit of a nitemare this was as our buyer wanted us out or she'd pull out, we had to move with in laws for two weeks as ours was having some work done, all very stressful, but in now and just cooked my first chicken dinner, on gas which i'm not used to, i made a sponge with an 8 mix, 2 tins etc, said gas 4 25mins, it actually took 36mins, my old fan oven took 25mins, is that normal of gas?

MikeLitoris Sun 30-Sep-12 18:53:34

I don't think I have baked in a gas oven before. That's going to take some getting used too.

I was going time make a start on some of the decs for this cake but dd2 is poorly. She had been a Velcro baby all day.

Back in work tomorrow but Will hopefully get some peace and quiet to start tomorrow.

nannycook Sun 30-Sep-12 19:32:43

Mmm i know, the cake was lovely and light though, and was strang to watch it as the oven is eye level instead of under the hob, hope i get used to it before i'm let loose on cakes that people actually pay me for, ha ha.

MikeLitoris Sun 30-Sep-12 19:38:54

Just see it as a good excuse to practice grin

nannycook Sun 07-Oct-12 20:46:11

Mike, your cake looks fab, did you make all the teddies yourself too?

MikeLitorisBites Sun 07-Oct-12 20:55:46

Sorry nan thats through pic she sent me of what she wanted. I delivered the cake today and completely forgot to get a pic.

I did make bears and will put a pic of those on my profile in a mo.

This cake was a battle of wills. The mum was adamant on what she wanted even though I didnt think through sizes would work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now