Talk

Advanced search

Can I colour white ready to roll icing?

(7 Posts)
cupcake78 Thu 27-Sep-12 05:40:52

Making birthday cake today and need black icing. Can I colour the white ready to roll icing with black icing gel colouring? If not how do I make black ready to roll icing.

BellaVita Thu 27-Sep-12 06:38:38

Yes you can, but it will take forever to do. You can buy black icing (in a sugar craft shop) which would be far easier.

SilverSixpence Thu 27-Sep-12 06:46:21

I got DH to knead the colour into 1.5kg of ready to roll and it didn't take too long (would have taken me a lot longer though). Proper Black might be harder to achieve though and I'd probably just buy it instead you can order online

JudithOfThePiece Thu 27-Sep-12 06:50:48

Like others have said, it's possible but I wouldn't recommend it. I forgot to order black icing for a cake a few months ago and needed quite a bit. I used the gel stuff and made some. The actual result was fine but it took a loooong time to get black rather than dark grey, used a huge amount of colouring and was a total PITA!

xkcdfangirl Thu 27-Sep-12 06:52:44

I've successfully tinted white R2R to pastel shades but I agree with the others that black would be really difficult to achieve. - here's a link to where you can buy some

cupcake78 Thu 27-Sep-12 08:10:14

Thanks, I've only got today so I'm off to find a cake decorating shop

cuteable Thu 27-Sep-12 20:32:42

This will be too late but I have found that leaving the icing overnight helps deepen the colour. I coloured R2R icing black not that long ago. Iced the cake and left it overnight - was deep black the next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now