Talk

Advanced search

Digger and dumper cake? Help!

(8 Posts)
megandraper Thu 27-Sep-12 05:16:10

ds is about to be 5 and has just announced he wants a chocolate 'digger and dumper' cake. Help! I am not very good at decorating cakes and don't know where to start!

swooosh Thu 27-Sep-12 05:25:26

Two cube shaped cakes, one big to be the digger with a smaller one next to it for the dumper. Biscuits as the wheels. You could either use a yellow rolled icing or a yellow frosting on it. Windows made of rolled icing. Scoop a dent out of the 'digger' and have crushed Oreo mud over flowing.. grin

Arithmeticulous Thu 27-Sep-12 06:28:49

Or do an ordinary round/square cake, cover in butter cream then crushed oreos/ bourbons /digestives (earth vs sand!) and place toy diggers and dump trucks on top.

BikeRunSki Thu 27-Sep-12 06:53:08

When DS wanted this, I did a tray of Rocky Road as the ground and got cheap digger and dumper toys from Poundland to go on top. I added a pile of "chocolate raisin rubble" for the digger to dog, the dumper was full of Smaties, there was a half built was made out of bricks of chopped up twixes, a couple of puddles of lime jelly in little dishes sunk into the Rocky Road before it set and some fondant wellies and hard hat.

xkcdfangirl Thu 27-Sep-12 06:57:28

I'm sure I've seen one like this recently (rumages in history list) - here

megandraper Thu 27-Sep-12 10:51:21

On you lot are brilliant! I am enthused now!

megandraper Thu 27-Sep-12 10:51:45

Oh not on....

bacon Thu 27-Sep-12 11:28:14

Have a look on cake central - always great for inspiration.cakecentral.com/gallery/view/search/?searches%5B%5D=&searches1%5B%5D=dumper&searches%5B%5D=digger&album=-&search_user= also search excavator. If you do really struggle then use lego toys to add the 3D effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now