Talk

Advanced search

Can a cake be frozen if it has been iced ?

(12 Posts)
Orangeena Wed 26-Sep-12 17:24:20

I have made a coffee cake,tray bake,and there is too much of it as the dcs dont really like it so can I freeze half-I have of course iced the whole thing with ordinary icing(icing sugar,coffee,boiling water) and walnuts. I know the cake itself will freeze well but will the icing turn to mush or disintigrate or something if its frozen?

desertgirl Wed 26-Sep-12 21:20:00

I think it should be ok; am fairly sure my mum has frozen cakes with that kind of icing with no ill effects - I don't have enough willpower to have left-over cake on the whole!

GOLDdebka Wed 26-Sep-12 21:23:20

It'll be fine I think. I often freeze buttercreamed cakes.

If you're not sure, you could always freeze a sliver of it, then defrost in a couple of hours.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 26-Sep-12 21:24:43

My mother (amateur cake maker) always told me that you shouldn't freeze an iced cake. confused

Penneyanne Thu 27-Sep-12 10:57:21

Well I did as Debka suggested and froze a sliver overnight-it seems fine actually so I have put half the cake in the freezer.Thanks everyone for all your help.

cuteable Thu 27-Sep-12 20:34:07

Its the sugerpaste that wont freeze - buttercream would be fine.

Clicketyclack Thu 27-Sep-12 21:52:29

What do you mean by sugarpaste Cuteable? Do you mean like the ready roll fondant stuff or the ordinary glace icing?

GOLDdebka Thu 27-Sep-12 22:37:21

<feels useful>

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 28-Sep-12 07:33:39

Oh ok. My mother uses sugar paste mainly. I use buttercream because I can't roll the buggering stuff out smoothly grin

Orangeena Fri 28-Sep-12 11:41:01

Ok, the answer is NO I froze a piece to see and while the cake is fine the icing is quite mushy.Not great to be honest.Thanks for help anywaysmile.

GOLDdebka Fri 28-Sep-12 12:55:00

You'll just have to eat it all today then grin can I come and help please?

cuteable Fri 28-Sep-12 21:42:03

Sorry - by sugarpaste I mean the ready to roll icing. Its fine to freeze buttercream. Did wonder how the icing would freeze with it being made with water... oh well you will have to eat it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now