Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mary Berry's apple and cinnamon cake - what am I doing wrong?

(8 Posts)
wem Wed 26-Sep-12 09:10:02

I've made this cake twice recently and both times the layer of apple has sunk in the middle so each slice comes out with a diagonal layer of apple from outside to in. The first time I thought the bottom layer was too shallow and I thought I undercooked it as the whole cake sunk in the middle a bit. The second time I made sure there was much more cake mix in the bottom layer and probably overcooked it, but the exact same thing happened, although the cake as a whole didn't sink, the apple layer still somehow migrated to the bottom of the tin during cooking.

The only I could think is that maybe I am creaming the butter and sugar too much, making the cake mix too light so it's not supporting the apple? Maybe it needs to be a denser cake?

That looks yummy, Im going to make that!

As for the sinking, I havent a clue but I would think the same as you, cake is too light to hold the apples.

Or the moisture from the apples is weighing the middle down. Could you lightly flour them before putting them in?

bamboobutton Wed 26-Sep-12 09:15:40

In my experience cakes never ever ever ever ever turn out like they do in the book.

Much more importantly, is it tastygrin

UnChartered Wed 26-Sep-12 09:16:02

i can't see where it says to cream the butter and sugar in that recipe confused

wem Wed 26-Sep-12 09:19:27

Unchartered - er, yeah, maybe I should try following the instructions smile Mary Berry does a few 'all-in' cakes in her book, which I usually ignore as I find creaming generally makes for a lighter cake, but in this case perhaps I should do as Mary tells me smile

It is very tasty indeed. And very more-ish. I'll just have to make another one to do it properly. Damn.

MoreBeta Wed 26-Sep-12 09:20:47

I make a version of this cake (not this recipe) but just mix the apple throughout the mixture. Comes out great, nice taste and moist. No sinking apple problem.

The problem you are facing may be because you are using cold butter and cold eggs straight from the fridge that leaves your mix so cold that it only heats up very slowly in the centre and the apple sinks before the cake actually sets in the oven.

Leave all your ingredients to reach room temp before use.

UnChartered Wed 26-Sep-12 09:22:25

i've got a recipe for apple cake that uses the rub in method you see wink

it also uses tart eating apples, as cooking apples are too soft when cooked.

i have some windfalls - i'm going to try that recipe you've linked wem it's a bit different to mine

mmmm....more pudding grin

wem Wed 26-Sep-12 09:23:02

Thanks MoreBeta, I do usually let the eggs and butter come to room temperature. I thought about mixing the apples through, but wasn't sure if you'd get the same pockets of apple, which are pretty tasty. But I think it could do with the moisture throughout, so I'll give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now