Talk

Advanced search

What's your favourite fruit cake recipe?

(6 Posts)
Osmiornica Tue 25-Sep-12 17:57:21

I need to make a celebration fruit cake but have never made one before - all my other ones have been sponge. What's a good reliable fruit cake recipe please? I'm planning to make it in advance (a few weeks) and cover it with marzipan and fondant icing if that makes any difference.

Thanks smile

RunsWithScissors Tue 25-Sep-12 18:01:40

I always go with this one from the waitrose site.

My sister (who normally dislikes fruit cake) even likes it.

LondonInBoots Tue 25-Sep-12 18:08:42

You want a boozy one or not? You can keep non-boozy ones just as well as boozy, we always do, just make sure you keep it wrapped and in the tin if possible. This also help you not eat it all before you needed it never happened to me blush

This is mine (and my DM's and DGM's and DGGM's etc), we use square tins
8 oz butter
8 oz caster sugar
30 g / 1 dsp soft brown sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 tbsp orange marmalade
4 eggs
12 oz plain flour
1 tsb bicarb
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
4 tbsp milk (or brandy or sherry)
12 oz chopped seedless raisins
8 oz sultanas
8 oz currants
4 oz chopped stoned dates
4 oz chopped glacé cherries (rinsed)
2 oz chopped blanched almonds
2 oz ground almonds
4 oz mixed peel

Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180 Deg C.
Line tin with 4 thicknesses of greaseproof paper going at least 2 in above tin. Line outside of tin with brown paper.
Cream butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in brown sugar, rind and marmalade, then the eggs one at a time, adding a sifting of flour after each.
Stir in well sifted flour, bicarb and spices.
Toss all dried fruit together in a little flour until lightly coated and well combined.
Add milk and remaining ingredients and turn into tin, place in lower half of oven.
After 20 minutes reduce heat and cook very slowly as below. Cover with a double sheet of brown paper halfway through cooking.

Cook above quantity in an 8in tin at Gas 2, 150 Deg C for about 4 hours.
Cook half this quantity in a 5in tin at Gas 3, 170 Deg C for about 21/2 hours
Cook double this quantity in a 12in tin at Gas 1/2, 130 Deg C for about 51/2 hours

Cool cake in tin. Do not remove paper until ready to ice, and if stored, moisten with brandy or orange syrup.

Osmiornica Thu 27-Sep-12 12:42:37

Thanks both. I don't mind if it's boozy or not as I'm doing another sponge one to go on top.

FireOverBabylon Thu 27-Sep-12 12:50:52

I've just ued this recipe from the BBC Good Food page which worked well. I only wanted a small cake and it was easy to halve the ingredients.

bacon Thu 27-Sep-12 12:59:33

you could try this lighter one by Jane Hornby.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4575/wedding-cake--light-fruit-cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now