Talk

Advanced search

I'm making a cake for dd2's birthday - Help

(18 Posts)
Xroads Tue 25-Sep-12 12:13:44

I've never made a cake like this before so I need some experienced bakers help.

My plan is to make a chocolate cake (4 x square cakes) and then build them together with jam and whipped cream (dd2's request as she doesn't like buttercream or chocolate spread - any other suggestions?) then cover it in melted chocolate (it's got to look like a desk) and use flake to make it look like grooves in the wood (and to add to the taste) then on the desk she want it to look like pieces of paper with happy birthday and a childs drawing with paintbrushes, crayons etc (I plan to use ready to roll icing to mould the paintbrushes, a palette and crayons as well as paper) I'll use the tubes of coloured icing to draw on the "paper" I've also ordered some crayon candles.

My problem is her birthday is saturday I don't want to spend all day in the kitchen so I would like to make it in advance but because of the whipped cream only lasting 3 days I'm wondering how I can work it?

The royal icing says its not to be put in the fridge but the cream and chocolate will need to be in the fridge?

I've got time on Thursday day time while dc's are at school to bake the cakes, and model the stuff i need out of icing.

I could put it all together on the Fri evening would that work but then where do I keep it overnight, in the fridge and ruin the icing or on the side in a tub and ruin the cream filling? Or should I convince dd2 to have a different filling and i'lkl make her whipped cream to go on the side on the day?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 25-Sep-12 12:24:53

Don't use whipped cream to stick it together - it will go soggy and horrible. Cream on the side is a much better idea.

ToothyMcTooth Tue 25-Sep-12 12:48:46

I agree with Slightly. Make it with buttercream but make her a mini cake of her own with whipped cream.

Ime most kids don't like the taste of cream. but would sell their mothers for icing or buttercream

Xroads Tue 25-Sep-12 13:51:45

Good plan.

So am I right in thinking to make buttercream you have butter, icing sugar and flavouring (like vanilla or something?)

Xroads Tue 25-Sep-12 13:52:50

If I make it with buttercream where is it better to keep it? In a tub or in the fridge bearing in mind the roll out icing says not to keep in the fridge?

ToothyMcTooth Tue 25-Sep-12 14:02:29

I would probably keep it somewhere cool but not the fridge, like a garage perhaps or your kitchen if its not too humid. Yes to buttercream recipe, google for lots of ideas. It sounds like a great cake - how old is your dd?

pumpkinsweetie Tue 25-Sep-12 14:03:46

Chocolate buttercream inside, chocolate ganache on the outside?

MrsBucketxx Tue 25-Sep-12 14:12:19

maybe using a chocolate ganache by using chocolate andwarmed cream instead it has alonger shelf life and won't go soggy like fresh cream. the amount of chocolate will determine how firm it will be.

i hope it turns out well for you

Xroads Tue 25-Sep-12 14:16:20

Ohhh I hadn't thought of chocolate ganache (never made that before though, any tips?) How long does it last for etc?

Dd2 will be 7yrs (time flies!)

I'll post a pic if I'm not too ashamed wink

MrsBucketxx Tue 25-Sep-12 14:21:26

it will last the same sort of time as buttercream. i don't use a recipe just use as much chocolate as i need go cover cake etc (and a bit extra for me blush) and add cream bit by bit if you want to whip it make it more funny so you can whisk it. or if you want to pour or spread add less iykwim.

you can google an exact recipe im sure.

Xroads Thu 27-Sep-12 16:49:28

I've baked 4 square chocolate cakes and 6 muffins.

Tomorrow evening I'm planning to make the bits to go on top out of roll out icing and put the cake together with the ganache eeekkk!

The muffins I will do on the morning of dd's birthday (just going to slice the top off, put jam and whipped cream in and then use the top as butterfly wings.

Any tips on how to make straight crayons from roll out icing? I've had a quick go this afternoon but it was trickier than I'd imagined!

ToothyMcTooth Fri 28-Sep-12 08:20:05

Not sure on the crayons but could you make a ball of icing and then roll it into a sausage type shape? Then cut the top and bottom to make them crayon like?

Xroads Sat 29-Sep-12 07:57:24

I've put a pic on my profile so you can see what you all think. grin

VikingVagine Sat 29-Sep-12 09:32:02

You need to make your profile public!

Xroads Sat 29-Sep-12 09:33:02

Thanks, whoops, I've done it now smile

MirandaWest Sat 29-Sep-12 09:35:03

Still not public - I want to see it smile

MirandaWest Sat 29-Sep-12 09:35:31

And happy birthday to your DD smile

MirandaWest Sat 29-Sep-12 09:36:14

Ah it is now smile Looks great smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now