Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Simplest possible cake recipe please?

(19 Posts)
akaemmafrost Mon 24-Sep-12 09:57:29

Preferably a loaf type cake as that the kind of tin I have smile. I am no baker but want to do a homemade cake for dd's class cake stall. Thanks very much.

ZZZenAgain Mon 24-Sep-12 10:00:07

just make a basic sponge cake and pour in it the loaf tin? It is just butter, eggs, sugar, flour. Butter icing tastes nice and is straight forward to make - just butter, icing sugar, a couple of spoons of milk and a dash of vanilla essence. Spread it on and use a fork to make it a bit wavy, if you want, stick some sweets on the top

ZZZenAgain Mon 24-Sep-12 10:01:10

if you have a bit too much cake mixture, you could make a couple of fairy cakes

ImNotCute Mon 24-Sep-12 10:03:05

Malt loaf: 1 cup sultanas, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons black treacle, 2 cups self raising flour.

Mix all together, pour in loaf tin, cook approx 1 hour at gas mark 5. Serve sliced and buttered. I love it, only cake I ever made when dd was little as it's so quick.

akaemmafrost Mon 24-Sep-12 10:26:00

Thanks will probably go for the sponge as it's for kids but definitely going to try that malt loaf recipe. Love malt loaf.

CakeBump Mon 24-Sep-12 10:34:45

Lemon Drizzle - couldn't be simpler.

350g caster sugar, 350g butter. Beat with an electric mixer til fluffy.

Add 5 eggs, keep beating.

Add 350g SR flour and the zest of one lemon, keep beating.

Spread into your greased tin

Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees) for 50 minutes.

Once done, take out. Whilst still in tin, prick all over with a skewer. Mix the juice of 1 lemon with 100g caster sugar and drizzle all over the top of the cake.

Leave to cool.

That's it!!

akaemmafrost Mon 24-Sep-12 11:17:51

Ok now I am doing the lemon! Thanks. Going shopping now smile.

akaemmafrost Mon 24-Sep-12 22:22:15

I made the lemon cake and it has turned out perfectly! So thanks for that. Has really inspired me to try more baking now. Super impressed.

CakeBump Tue 25-Sep-12 07:50:25

yay! Well done.

I've got a few more simple recipes if you want me to pm you - I make cakes for DH's restaurant smile

akaemmafrost Tue 25-Sep-12 09:20:22

That would be brilliant thanks smile. I think I've got the baking bug.

maybeyoushoulddrive Tue 25-Sep-12 09:27:15

Cake Bump - I would love those recipes too please! You have a fantastically clear way of laying out/explaining recipes which takes the fear away - I made the lemon drizzle too and it was yummy. Thank you!

Akaemmafrost -sorry for barging in, without recipes of my ownblush

CakeBump Tue 25-Sep-12 11:19:21

ooh thanks folks my head is swelling!

I'm actually just in the middle of making a ginger cake, but when I'm done I'll pm!!

smile

notgoodatcatering Tue 25-Sep-12 12:03:30

Thank you smile Like the sound of the ginger cake!

notgoodatcatering Tue 25-Sep-12 12:03:54

Maybe you need a blog????

akaemmafrost Tue 25-Sep-12 12:26:46

Yes please do include the ginger cake recipe in the PM grin love ginger cake.

CakeBump Tue 25-Sep-12 14:59:44

ooh that's a thought notgood!!

PMing now....

MarianForrester Wed 26-Sep-12 18:17:19

We made the lemon drizzle after school - delicious. Thanks and to OP for thread smile

Think will try the malt loaf one too - love treacle on things; haven't cooked with it since I was a child

lolalotta Thu 27-Sep-12 06:18:04

CakeBump any chance you could PM me the recipes too, they sound fantastic! grin
Yes, write a blog!!!

bacon Thu 27-Sep-12 11:32:29

bbc good food - you can see the measurements so you can change to chocolate, almonds, orange etc. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4942/lemon-drizzle-cake

loaf cakes:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=loaf+cake&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now