Talk

Advanced search

Madeira cake - tried and tested recipe needed

(17 Posts)
Grockle Wed 19-Sep-12 21:18:11

I've made them before but they're always dry and not the best cakes but I need to make one tomorrow for DS's birthday. I've googled but the recipes are so different & I don't know which to pick. Can anyone help?

nannycook Wed 19-Sep-12 21:48:04

Aw grockle, i have a fab one i use for all my cakes and they turn out exactly the same for everyone, unforunately i've packed all my books away as i'm moving house tomorrow, if it was any other time i'd gladly give you the recipe.

Grockle Wed 19-Sep-12 22:42:31

Oh no! Thanks anyway. DO you happen to know which book it's in? There is a vague chance I might i have it <hopeful>

nannycook Thu 20-Sep-12 10:12:19

not sure if you'll have this one, its a small cake decorating motif book with all cake mixes in the front for all tin sizes, its a fab recipe never had any moans about it. got it from amazon only £3 50 ish .

VeritableSmorgasbord Thu 20-Sep-12 10:14:24

Nigella's Domestic Goddess version is good.
It's bound to be googleable

Lovecat Thu 20-Sep-12 15:13:48

I use Delia's wholemeal recipe but substitute white flour/sugar etc for it - turns out beautifully. One quantity is enough to make a 10" square cake layer (about an inch high).

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/wheatmeal-madeira-cake.html

hth!

Grockle Thu 20-Sep-12 17:01:28

Nope, don't have that one Nanny but thanks! I don't like Nigella's (dry when I make it) but will look at Delia's recipe or use the British Bake off one & hope for the best. Thank you all smile

bacon Fri 21-Sep-12 17:58:16

I would of thought a maderia is pretty much the same. I used Lindys for my last top tier of a celebration cake and flavoured it with orange extract and zest. delicious. Used chocolate granche not buttercream.

www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2009/12/17/baking-the-perfect-madeira-cake/

Make sure you put a thick collar around the tin when baking.

nannycook Fri 21-Sep-12 22:40:23

Grockle, i've moved and i've just found all my best books, but i've just sat down, so if you still want it, ok to give you it tomorrow?

Grockle Sat 22-Sep-12 17:08:47

Oh thanks Nanny - I made it on Thursday but if you have a spare few mins some time, I'd love another recipe. The one I've made feels very uncake-like.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 22-Sep-12 17:55:29

I use maisie fantasie recipe. Very simple - same amount of eggs to inches (so 7 inch tin would use 7 eggs) and 50g of each ingredient to 1 egg (so again, 7 inch tin would take 350g)

Make it as you would a standard vanilla sponge, bake at 180 with a bowl of water inthe bottom of the oven. a 7 inch takes approx 40 mins, add 10 mins for every extra inch. Bake it the day before you want it, and wrap it tightly in greasproof. It makes a lovely moist cake, that leasts at least a week if looked after

Grockle Sun 23-Sep-12 16:45:13

Thank you. I have made notes but the Bake-off book recipe is actually really good. The cake is lovely - nice and solid but not heavy or dry. Success, hurrah!

MikeLitoris Sun 30-Sep-12 19:00:26

grockle would you mind posting the recipe you used please?

TIA

Grockle Sun 30-Sep-12 21:33:08

Madeira Cake

makes 1 20cm round or a loaf tin

250g flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
175g unsalted butter
3 medium eggs (room temp), beaten
zest & juice of 1/2 lemon

Preheat oven to 170/325/ Gas 3 & line tin with paper (lots of recipes also say to line the outside with brown paper but I didn't)

Sift Flour, salt, baking pdr

Beat butter with mixer til light & creamy.
Add sugar & beat well for about 5 mins until v light & fluffy.
Gradually add eggs, beating well after each one & adding 1 tbsp flour with the last portion of egg (I added a bit after ech egg to stop it curdling)

Beat in lemon zest & juice then sift flour into the bowl. Fold in gently with a big metal spoon then transfer to prepared ti & spread evenly. Gently bang tin on work surface to dislodge any air pockets & bake for 60 - 75 mins.

Remove form oven & leave to cool before removing from tin.

MikeLitoris Wed 03-Oct-12 10:16:37

Thanks grockle.

No idea What I'm doing wrong but I just cannot make Madeira cake sad

It's dry as hell.

bacon Wed 03-Oct-12 11:52:12

Lindys 20cm cake has much more ingredients:

350g (12 oz) Unsalted Butter
350g (12 oz) Caster Sugar
350g (12 oz) Self Raising Flour
175g (6oz) Plain Flour
6 Large Eggs

There tips on the link I've given are great and mine is never dry.

Grockle Wed 03-Oct-12 17:46:26

I saw the Lindy's recipe but the quantities seemed ridiculous. They also talk about putting glycerine in the cake to keep it moist and wrapping the tin in layers of paper. I didn't need to do any of that and I tend to think that if you need glycerine to keep a cake from being too dry then you need a better recipe. If it works, it works but I love the recipe I used and would definitely make it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now